Sign in to follow this  
r p coulter

Coues antler rattling?

Don't think people are ignoring you. This topic has been discussed several times in the past and if you do a search you'll probably find some good info.

I think the short answer to your question is "it depends". If the conditions are right you can rattle coues deer in. The key is being in the right place at the right time and a little bit of luck never hurts either.

I think most of us suffer from Arizona-couesdeeritis, a condition that causes the afflicted to hold binoculars tightly to their foreheads for long periods of time while not believing that there could possibly be a coues buck any closer than 500 yards distance. The chances of picking up antlers and rattling them to attract a buck while under this dillusion are nil.

Seriously, azbarehunter, most of us don't know squat about this because we rarely ever try it. A few of us may know a few things. The before mentioned advice to check out the archives is good. Between the "did it once", "aint seent it", or "got a reaction, but can't figure out what it means", there are a few good observations. Just to be clear about this, I don't know squat about it either. I rattle quite a bit from a tree blind and I'm not sure I'm doing more harm than good.

I hope you try it and have good results!

Mike

Last time I tried to rattle in a coues I used my biggest matched set of sheds and ended up brakin the tip off of one of them.....The deer that I was trying to call in didn't give a ratt's a$$ :D

AZ Bare, It definitely works and pretty good at certain times. I've rattled in quite a few and from my experience you need two key factors. Areas with good to high buck doe ratios and a good coues deer rut going on. The sucess I've had rattling has been with these two conditions present during the bowhunt in January. All cases that I've experienced, the deer came running in and just about ran me over much like a coyote coming in to a call looking for a free meal. It's quite a rush and definitely worth trying. Good luck