Sign in to follow this  
corkin it

Youth hunt help

Good morning, Im looking at putting my son in for a hunt in AZ. I started getting points for him this year for elk and thought i would do the same for deer. The only differance is I would like to put him in for a hunt. After reading some articles it became clear that I need to know about point system in order to have a chance at drawing a good hunt for him. I was looking at the strip area but it was recomended that with no points it pointless:) to put in for these hunts. I would really like to get him in on a dec hunt for coues. Is it worth putting him in if he doesnt have points built up for decemnber hunts. I grew up hunting the 36 units but havnt been there in 20+ years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! jake

IMO the early jr tags (early oct) are the best tags in the state! It is still pretty warm at that time though.

IMO the early jr tags (early oct) are the best tags in the state! It is still pretty warm at that time though.

I would agree. Some of the units are better WT units, some of the units are better MD units and some have good hunting for both. It can be a little warm in early Oct but some of the jrs on these hunts kill some very big deer (both WT and MD).

I saw those oct hunts but im hancuffed. Ecause i coach football. Usually finsh mid nov so dec would work best for us. He will actually be playing for me next year. With the dec hunts do the out of staters with points get those tags? Leaving him with no chance? We could probably make nov work. Thanks

Any of the dec hunts in the southern unit is hard to draw with no points because there is only 40 to 50 tags but AZGF changed up the late nov hunt to be 10 days long. That hunt starts Nov 30 and goes till Dec 9. Better chance of being drawn and it goes into Dec to fit your schedule better. But the units will already been hammered with two previous rifle hunt, so be prepared to do some glassing!

Jake,

Kudos to you for taking your son hunting. I would not recommend waiting to build his bonus points to get him a tough-to-draw tag. I would say take advantage of his youth and start him on some hunting with reasonable odds of success to draw and tag out. Start the fire in him as soon as possible. Both 36A and 36B have junior hunts from Nov 23 to Nov 29. Hopefully this is late enough in Nov to work with your schedule. With only 150 and 125 tags issued respectively, these are a great draw and you can avoid the crowds with the 500 to 900 tags issued in those units in the general hunts around that time. Plus these tags are good for WT and MD which are both present in good amounts in both. Another bonus to this is that the license and tags are cheaper for youth hunts. All else fails look into 3rd general season WT hunts in the southern units that start Nov. 30th this year.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Just found out we drew NM coues tags......but...I think ill still put him in for AZ.. we didnt draw elk this year and i know he will get hooked on coues hunting. Thanks for the help!!! jake

Jake,

Kudos to you for taking your son hunting. I would not recommend waiting to build his bonus points to get him a tough-to-draw tag. I would say take advantage of his youth and start him on some hunting with reasonable odds of success to draw and tag out. Start the fire in him as soon as possible. Both 36A and 36B have junior hunts from Nov 23 to Nov 29. Hopefully this is late enough in Nov to work with your schedule. With only 150 and 125 tags issued respectively, these are a great draw and you can avoid the crowds with the 500 to 900 tags issued in those units in the general hunts around that time. Plus these tags are good for WT and MD which are both present in good amounts in both. Another bonus to this is that the license and tags are cheaper for youth hunts. All else fails look into 3rd general season WT hunts in the southern units that start Nov. 30th this year.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Just found out we drew NM coues tags......but...I think ill still put him in for AZ.. we didnt draw elk this year and i know he will get hooked on coues hunting. Thanks for the help!!! jake

Jake,

Lee

Jake,

Congrats on all the NM draws! You guys did really well. I don't know what time frames those NM hunts are but hopefully the jr hunts in AZ are still an option for your son. Sounds like a busy fall already. I feel just awful for you. :lol: Hoping to get my wife drawn for a good deer hunt this year, because as much as I am stoked about drawing an archery bull tag this year, I can't wait to go guiding her to her next deer. It is such a blast to hunt with family.

Lee

i put my son in all december tags has been building up his bonus points then if he dont get drawn we just grab a left over 36 tag since there always available for both the early and late hunts best way to build up points and still get to hunt.....

I want to thank evyone for their advice. All makes sense. After much thought and that look from my wife I have decided to not put Zach in for Az. This year. Our hands our full with NM coues tags and I want to spend lots of time scouting these new areas. Thanks again and best of luck to you and your draws!! I will get his point though:) Jake