Sign in to follow this  
senor benado

WHITETAIL/ MULEY HIBRID

A CO-WORKER OF A FRIEND KILLED AN ENORMOUS BUCK IN 24 THIS YEAR AND I AM ALMOST CERTAIN IT IS A CROSSBRED DEER. ALL POINTS COME OFF MAIN

BEEM BUT APPEARED WIDE AND TALL LIKE A MULEY ; NEEDLESS TO SAY I BELIEVE HE SAID IT SCORED APROX. 120+. NOT TOO BAD FOR A 3 BY 3 .

I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD HAVE A SEPARATE CATEGORY FOR SUCH A DEER.I GUESS THIS WOULD BE TOUGH TO DO W/O DNA SAMPLES. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK.

To my knowledge there is no seperate catagorey because it is a Hybrid. Sounds like a nice buck. I have shot a few muley/blacktail crosses that are nice bucks but because of the genetic cross couldnt be recognized as either blacktail or muley......

Welcome Senor Benado! I would really like to see a picture? If you have one to show us?

:D

Hi Senor Benado,

There is a guy doing some research right now on Coues/muley hybrids. He has collected samples from all over for DNA testing and he might be willing to test your friend's deer. Send him an email and ask if he is still taking samples and that you think it may be a hybrid. rglopez@fs.fed.us

Also, here is a link to an article on my website about hybrids. It was written by a research biologist from AZGFD. Hybrid Article

Amanda