Sign in to follow this  
Elkhunter1

Trail cam placement

I got back late yesterday from placing my cams out down south. I was wondering if anybody has used Purina's Deer Block before and what was your results? I tried a mineral block two seasons ago and there was still about 25% of it still there. It looks like there was something licking it though I can't tell what.

post-5396-0-12922300-1337275263.jpg

have not tried that 1.

keep us up to date on how it works.

on the regular mineral blocks I use buck jam poured on top for an added scent attractant. seemed to work well. I got a lot of does and they tore it up pretty quick. I guess just a matter of getting it in the right area with bucks.

I went to salt the past couple of years mainly cause I was un prepared and fry's and wally world are open 24/7 Lol!

It takes a little longer to establish but easier to conceal the location.

the small flavored blocks work well too but are quickly devoured... maybe 4-6 weeks.

good luck!

James

I have found that especially with coues the weather does more than the deer. Cows tend to tear them up them along with elk depending on the area. The coues tend to link the ground around my block more than the blocks themselves.....its interesting. All i use are mineral blocks unless i am hiking long distances.

At Sportsmans they have the Rock and I have had elk and deer coming in pretty regular. I think I am on a regular path for them also so that doesnt hurt. My salt was too visible I think so it kept walking away.

I found a feed store here in Tucson that has the Trophy Rock and at the best price $10.99. That will be my next buy unless the Deer Block works well. (fingers crossed)

The trophy rock gets hammered by elk for sure. Coues hit it as well but mine are up north. Mule deer seem to hit it the least. I like the t rock because it blends in pretty well and not as obvious to other hunters.

The trophy rock gets hammered by elk for sure. Coues hit it as well but mine are up north. Mule deer seem to hit it the least. I like the t rock because it blends in pretty well and not as obvious to other hunters.

I was looking for the min. blocks when I found the rock at the feed store, but I wasn't prepared to buy three of them, so I went with the Deer Block and cut it into three pieces.