COOSEFAN

What do Coues do in the Spring?

I am hardly ever in Coues country in the Spring time when they loose their headgear. I have always wondered if they move far out of their normal haunts during this time of year? I have always thought they moved a little and was the reason why I find only a few sheds during scouting/hunting season in the areas where I know they are in the late Fall. I know desert Mulies will drop in the same areas because they have no reason to change elevations very far throughout the year, but do the Coues move much in the Spring? Thanks, JIM.

Most Coues stay right where they are at. If a coues is living where the winter will chase him out, Because of where they live they usualy dont have to go more than a mile or two to get down to the desert and out of the snow or to diferent feed.

The reason I find fue Coues sheds is couse they are so small. It's much easer to find an elk shed and that can still be hard some trimes.

This is my first year looking for Coue's sheds. I started in late April and was skunked for a whole month. I found my first one in late May, since then I have averaged about 2 sheds every morning that I go out to a new area (10 fresh sheds, 6 old ones so far).

My best reccomendation is that when you get into an area and you start finding alot of scat, look under every single bush that you possibly think a deer could fit beneath. I find 90% of my sheds under or near large mesquite or palo verde. It is like watching a puzzle fall together, you start seeing scat, you see bushes or trees that have been rubbed on or have broken branches, you start seeing beds under trees, and BAM there they are.

As far as having trouble finding sheds during the hunting season, I would wager that it is because someone else has already been there and picked them up. I had a terrible experience the other day when I was noticing all of the aformentioned clues come together and BAM! instead of a shed there was some toilet paper and a deuce right in the middle of a big deer bed, disgusting and disheartening...

Quote: " This is my first year looking for Coue's sheds. I started in late April and was skunked for a whole month. I found my first one in late May, since then I have averaged about 2 sheds every morning that I go out to a new area (10 fresh sheds, 6 old ones so far). " Neo.

Well, I figured it out, the reason I find so few sheds is because Neo found em' all! :ph34r: :P I would be one happy dude if I found half or even a quarter the amount of sheds you have found Neo! I spend ALOT of time in Coues country later in the year, and I have always had a problem with spending too much time looking for sheds than for actual deer when walking around. I still don't find as many as I would think. The areas I hunt have alot of bucks, and there should be twice as many sheds laying around, right? That is why I asked my question about where they go in the Spring. I know they are hard to find but it just always frustrates me that I have such a hard time finding them, even though I always look for them. I'm sure it would be different if I could spend more time out there at this time of year, I am jealous of you guys that can! I swear there is something special about them darn little antlers and the critters that grew them! It's an addiction for sure! Thanks for the info guys! Jim.

Jim, I have found alot of sheds on flats between ridges. dont know if their behavior is different between shedding time and others, but I find my sheds right around the same "home territory" the buck lives in and seem to find more in flats than on the hill sides............Allen.......

Hey Allen, that's interesting about the flats or saddles between ridges. I have noticed, especially in an area I hunted last year, that there were always rubs or scrapes in these areas. I had made it a point to hike to different saddles just to look for scrapes/rubs, and there always seemed to be one, some old, some fresh. I just figured it was because of their habit of crossing at these points causing intersecting trails, but I wonder if they still rub a little in the spring on the same rubs they use during the winter, and knock their antlers off or loosen them up? Again, I'm a "Couesfan" but I can never get out there during the spring/summer time, so I have no clue! Thanks again for the insight! JIM

I would agree about the finding sign in the flats. They seem to spend alot of time tearing around in the flat areas between ridges (or even on top of wide flat ridges). But, I think - and maybe I only think this because somebody else has already walked through the flats picking up sheds- that the biggest bucks prefer beds along the flat edge of ridges that have open views onto those open flat areas down below.

I am attaching a photo of this year's shed collection. I would like to say that the dog helped, however he's worthless at finding sheds (I'm working with him, he is only 9 months). I do admit that he is the reason I get out so often - i got sick of going to the dog park; and he is good company on all those long morning walks.

post-1107-1150863818.jpg

dang Neo! Thats awesome, you got some good ones! Thanks for the pic. JIM

Most of the sheds I find are in really thick and brushy areas. I think of them almost as bedding areas. Places I would not frequent if I was hunting for deer. You would always want to be glassing into those areas or around them and not busting through them if you were trying to kill one instead of find his sheds. I have always thought that they don't move around all that much over all, they just brush up real tight for the most part and as result drop their sheds in the brush alot...

Bret M.