Sign in to follow this  
KillerMillers

NM antelope help

My kids have antelope tags about 20 mi SE of Datil for the first part of Oct. The ranch they have is on th SE edge of the saint augustin plains south of hwy 60 off of hwy 52/163. I may not have a chance to go over & scout more than one time prior to a couple of days before the hunt. If anyone is familiar with the general area, what kind of population is there in the area and what kind of bucks might we see. (i am waiting to call the landowner until they get a little more monsoon weather, it seems like they are more willing to talk about hunting when there is a little more feed for their livestock)

Thanks

Usually there are good numbers of antelope on the plains of San Augustin and the quality is very good from what I have seen when driving through.

There's some big ones in there, best in the country with the exception of maybe AZ, but that's arguable. How big is your ranch? If you have a good chunk, I wouldn't shoot anything short of 82" or so.

The ranch is 62,000 acres with 7 total tags, my kids 16,14 & 11 have 3 of them. Both my boys have been drawn before but this is my daughters first antelope tag (at 11) they had tags before in the NE corner & both got good bucks. Glad my kids are lucky, I have 21 pts here in AZ & haven't had a NM tag since 1995. I'm just going to drive over & look around off of the roads in late Aug, then go back over a couple of days before the hunt. Thank you for the replies & encouraging info!

You should have a great hunt,my cousin runs cattle south of 60 about 40 miles.They haven't had much rain yet,but alot better than last year.I've seen some nice bucks driving on 52 to see him in the past.