Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Kelty Cache Hauler

Anybody use a Kelty Cache Hauler for packing in to a spike camp and packing out meat quarters?

The price is right and I'm considering one. I already have an Eberlestock that I use as a daypack and don't want to spend the money for a Badlands Ox if I can avoid it.

The Cache Hauler has some features I'm liking. I'm concerned about things like general all around effectiveness, durability, weight, and value for my dollar.

I hope someone shares. I'm curious too if anyone has one. it has good reviews and I've always had good quality with my Kelty packs. Im gonna need something to carry my elk out :0)

I have one. It's a great pack-frame. Very comfortable. I have used it several times over the last 5 years. Usually it stays on the quad, in the truck, or in camp until meat is on the ground. I have used it to "go deep". I strap in a small day pack/fanny pack with the necessities, then when I get to my hunt area, I stash the Kelty and hunt with the day pack. If the day pack is small enough, you can haul out pack/meat in one trip....if it's a deer....or one elk quarter. The "wings" and compression strap setup is real nice for containing the load. It has a rain fly tucked in a bottom pocket. It's a great pack for the price.

Here it is in action:

post-2983-0-85806400-1341947952_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-56769300-1341948020_thumb.jpg

I ended up getting a Kelty Red Cloud Internal frame pack.

When I started looking at it I found features I really liked and somewhat comparable to the Badlands 4500 that I didn't want to spend the coin on. I'm going to borrow a frieghter Frame Pack and leave it in the truck for the pack out aftr I get the first bits back to the truck.

I have a redcloud that I used for a 50 mile backpack trip on the Highline trail and I think that it would easily work for hauling out an entire boned coues or an elk quarter. I have a Badlands 2500 that I use for packing coues all the time, works like a charm.

I dont have the Kelty, but have the Alpine commander and love it. Strap on the daypack and your good to go.

#!