Sign in to follow this  
RHINO

300 um elk load?

Ive had alot of elk hunting experience just with a bow not a rifle. I like to be prepared for all circumstances. Ive practiced with my deer load 180 ttsx barnes from 50 yards to 1200 yards. I try to be prepared for any scenario. Ive taken most of my coues under 300 yards but I have taken 3 good bucks from 600 to 800 yards. And while antelope hunting in 3c I glassed up one of the biggest bulls Ive ever seen. I probably wont be hunting out in the antelope flats but if i scout a monster out there ill be there chasing him. My brother got a 370 bull in 3c archery about 4 years ago. Im setting my sights for 370 class or bigger.

I was lucky enough to draw the early rifle bull in 3a/3c. This will be my first rifle elk tag. Ive been shooting the 180 ttsx barnes for a while. My best group was a hair over 4" at 800 yards. I shot it the other day while working on my 200 grain loads with wind and was able to get under 4" at 400 yards. In good shooting conditions Im confident with the 180's out to 800 on a coues. At 800 yards I still have 1200 ft-lbf, do you think that is enough for an elk? I may be confident with my accuracy at that range, but I have never taken an animal of this size with a rifle before and I want to make sure I put him in his tracks.

Rhino, I took a look at shooter and would think you would have a bit more energy than 1200 ft-lbs (~ 1,300). Not sure what you are getting in MV but I would guess at least 3,100? I used to get +3,200 out of the Nosler Accu-bond I shot my sheep with, now I pretty much only shoot the Berger HVLD's. Anyway I think the conventional wisdom/myth/thinking is about 1,500 for elk which should take you to about 700yds. However I would agree with everyone else that it is about shot placement. My dad used to shoot Javi's with a .22 a very long time ago when he was a kid which I can't even imagine anyone would attempt, of course no one was around then to tell him it wouldn't work so he did not know any better.

You have an awesome hunt! I have a place in Pinetop and we always see plenty of bulls throughout the year. Don't ignore 3A unless you already know what your after in C, 3A and the N part of C are the areas that you may need the longer range you are talking about, most of C is pretty tight.

Don't know if you are still considering your load but I have used the 180 ttsx with success in my 300 RUM. They did a number on this guy in my late hunt last year. I am currently experimenting with 210 Berger VLDs as well for long range performance.

Good luck

post-6408-0-79686500-1344728805_thumb.jpg

Energy is only a mathematical equasion. A 180 grain FMJ bullet with an impact velocity of 2000'/sec will have the same 'energy' as an expanding bullet of the same weight and speed. The key hear, as has been stated by svjcon is energy transfer. A Barnes will deliver that transfer and further than most think. Espescially on a dense muscled, thick boned, deep chested critter like an elk. A 180 TTSX out of a 300RUM will cleanly take an elk at ranges most hunters could only dream about. If they are shooting good then stay with them. The largest bull moose (arctic bull) I have taken estimated at over 1800#, roughly twice the size of most bull elk you will encouter fell rather quickly to the Barnes 180 XBT (discontinued) from a 308. 2400 FPS was the muzzle velocity. You will have another 700-800FPS over and above that. 1 MOA is fine for an elk load. Even at distance.