Sign in to follow this  
BigMoqui

Bucks in Sept.

I have a friend who invited me to arrow a coues on her property this year. She has 500 acres on the San Pedro and a doe herd of about 20 animals. When I asked if it would be possible to hunt her property this year, her exact words were, "Oh, definetly, I'll even come down to the river and help you clean it." talk about excited, I'm friggin' stoked. One question though, she said the rut doesn't occur there until late Jan. early Feb. and there are very few bucks roaming around before then. My question is what are the chances of seeing bucks withe the herd during the Sep. archery season? Is in not even worth hunting in Sep., and should I wait until Jan. for this rare opportunity? She also said I could harvest one of her 30+ piggies during the new HAM fall season as long as I get the tag(35a/30b). Also I was thinking of setting up salt blocks(the property has not had cattle on it since 1984) and wanted to know how you guys pick your spot out. The flood plain is about a third of a mile wide with many pockets of vegetation and cottonwwod bottoms. The river itself has a really good game trail along it's bank, and the mesquite/catclaw thickets extend another 1/4 mile away from the bottoms. I've seen deer in all these areas, but any advice would be welcome.

Anytime you have a chance to get out there, do it!! As for bucks with the herd of does?? In my past experiences, I have only seen mature bucks together without any does in the early archery hunt. But hey what do you have to lose??

I was raised on the san pedro and there are some nice bucks down there all year long. They are there but not seen much. They will dwell between the river and the farms. Just pick a spot with good travel and set a camera up to see what is useing it. If it has lots of shoe tracks on the trail you will know not to set your Camera up on that trail :unsure:

The bucks are probably there too. I agree with setting up a camera to see what's there. Set your salt in a good hunting spot, i.e. by a place you can hunt from a tree stand and think about the prevailing wind for that area in your in. Good Luck

Late Aug. early Sept. most of the bucks will be hangin together...If I were you I would set a trail cam out on a lick and figure out whats out there and where they're coming from.

In in opinion, individual Coues deer bucks have a small range and pretty much stay in it until the rut sends them running around looking for loose women. You will see does in a buck's feeding and bedding areas (and vice versa) in August and September but the bucks pretty much ignore females until estrus time.

Bill