Sign in to follow this  
raventechniq

Houndsmen/Anyone need help or advice ASAP please

My plott hound is under my house in the pursuit of gophers. This will be the second day he's been under there. He managed to dig under cinder blocks when I wasn't home. I'm pretty sure he came out last night to water/feed by the looks of tracks and where his food bowl is. The crawl space is too tight and I can't get in there to get him out. What should I do? I know he is capable of digging himself out. Currently I'm just waiting for him in hopes of catching him before he goes back under. That's if he comes out. Anyone have advice for me?

And please no "you should run him more etc" I rescued him from the pound... And I just started working nights do I've been trying to work on our exercise schedule. Not looking for criticism.

Well a female in heat would be my best advice but since you probably don't have one pull his food bowl so that he can't just come out at night and then go right back in then the next day go to the spot where he dug in and drop some chow into his empty bowl he knows that sound. If that doesn't bring him out fire up the grill and drop a couple steaks on it. That smell should bring him out after a day or two of not eating. As far as keeping him out I would try a electric fence. Works great for diggers it's only one strand and you can put it all the way around the base of your house. Hope you get him out hounds are to smart for me to own so I will stick to my bird dogs good luck.

I love my black and tan hound, but if I don't keep her tied up it's nothing but trouble. So she stays tied until it's time to work or play.

Hounds are ment to hunt. You will never take that out of them and a Plott is very hard headed and driven that's why they make such great bear dogs. Like Randy said a chain is about all you can do. A friend of ours has had great success with the collar that works with the wirless fence set up. There dog got out of everything they could think of. It tried to get past that fence twice. It will never try it again.

+1 on the containment system. After a chicken mishap I put one around the chicken coop. My hounds wont go anywhere near the coop now.