Sign in to follow this  
shurtzgarret

house hold salt

if i were to take a bag of house hold salt out and sprinkle infront of my camera would it work the same as a salt lick or minerals???

I always use a 3 lb box of table salt on areas I'm expecting Coues. If its elk country, I will hike in 50 lb bags of water softener salt and split it in half between potential spots. If the salt is too concentrated, the Coues will pass on it until it dispersed in the soil more.

Here's what I've seen. Elk seem to love the big, chunky salt tabs like are usually used in water softning systems. They look like a pill about 1" wide by 1/2" inch across. Deer seem to like it better when you have very finely granulated salt that gets down deep in the dirt. The more natural the salt the better. Deer will stick their hooves into the muddy salty dirt. Elk prefer to just chomp down on the big hunks of straight salt.

That should work fine. I use the softner pellets in a hole and pour water on it. That plus the rain slowly soaks it in the ground which makes it last alot longer. I only replenish every two to three months. I just posted a topic with my results of pure pellets.