Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

Bluetooth GPS Review: Dual XGPS150

Over the last month I have been trying out the “Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth Receiver”. The unit allows you to use your smartphone or apple device as a GPS in the field without cell service or need for the on board GPS. This is the part where you skip to the end if you don’t care about a bunch of details. ;)

post-5700-0-86288200-1344044822.jpg

Examples of devices that can be used:

iPhone, iPad, iTouch

Android phone

BlackBerry smart-phones

Laptop (not tested)

I used my iPad 3 and my Samsung Fascinate with the unit so I have no BlackBerry feedback.

What is in the box:

XGPS unit

Wrist strap (Velcro) can be used to wear the unit as a watch.

Small strap (Velcro) can be used to attach to backpack etc.

Rubber dash pad to keep it in place in your car (works very well).

12V car charger; the USB cord is removable so you could use it with a solar or battery pack backup.

Tech specs:

2.25" x 2.25" x .75" It is small enough to fit in your pocket and weighs very little

Bluetooth high-sensitivity GPS receiver

65-channel SkyTraq GPS chip-set

WAAS/EGNOS compatible

GPS link interface:

Free Apple app “Dual”; for use with apple Bluetooth shows satellites acquired and signal strength

Android app Bluetooth GPS; same functionality

There is a very small switch that allows the signal to alternate between an “Apple” or “other” device.

Battery life:

Mfg claimed 8.5 hours, I have not run it that long but I know it will run full bore for just over 4 hours. It seems a perfect match for a GoalZero or other solar charger or battery pack. Charge time per the mfg is 2.5 hours, it seemed to charge in around 2 hours but as I said I never ran it dead.

Competition:

Bad Elf , Emprum UltiMate, existing phone, standard GPS

I went with the XPS instead of the Bad Elf or UltiMate because these units plug into the bottom of an apple device via the connector. My impression is that it would not take me long to break the unit with this type of setup.

Software/App requirements:

The unit works with any app used with GPS functionality and the ability to cache/download maps.

Android, I have tried Google, BackCountry, GPS Essentials, and Cabelas Recon.

For the iPad I have used, MotionX, Topo Maps, Giai, Google, and Cabelas Recon. Stand alone using the Android I would choose BackCountry ($4.99) and pay for the BLM map add on ($7.99), for the Apple I would choose Motion X only because the interface was very good and caching maps was very easy. Overall the winner is Cabela's Recon via the online Elite offering but it is $29.99 for a 1yr subscription. However; you can set up trips on your PC/Mac and then load them by synching onto all of your other devices. You also get BLM and Unit boundaries and overlays, along with blood trail and the coolest sliding button for alternating between two map styles of your choice. It is really nice to alternate the screen between topo and satellite and makes navigation much faster. I may try and put something up on the apps later.

Performance:

30 second satellite acquisitions claimed but I think it worked faster than this on average, usually by the time I could count to ten. I did not test it in any deep canyons but came to the conclusion that it works as good or better than my Gamin Rino GPS units. As for your smart device the Bluetooth drains your phone a bit faster so if your in the field for days power could become a challenge if you don’t plan well. The XGPS Bluetooth has a claimed range of 33 ft. I did not test this but never had an issue with the Bluetooth signal not working.

Pros:

It works! Faster than my Garmin in many cases

A GPS with the best screen(s) money can buy!

iPad may be the best GPS tool ever due to its amazing screen!

Multiple map types and styles, depending on mapping app selected.

A platform that can share space with your ballistics program, music, games, etc.

I think it could save a lot of money in the long run since most of us upgrade our phones every couple of years to get the latest and greatest which means no more need to upgrade your stand alone GPS unit, and the maps available are a lot cheaper than the Garmin, Ntl Geographic, etc offerings.

Cons:

At first I could not get it to come on so I gave it the manly treatment and squeezed the crap out of it! It passed the stress test and did not break. :rolleyes: I figured out you just press gently on the middle of the device and it comes on quite easily but the instructions were not super clear.

Device selector “apple” “other” can not be switched with gloves and is even tough without them. However it would normally be set before you were in the field.

Maps: they take up memory and if you don't download them you will get a nice grey screen with your location.

No external or extended battery :angry: which would make it a grand slam.

Do you need this?

Heck Ya! :D Well I think so it gives you the best looking GPS around and a lot of choices for mapping and interface for $99 which is on par with the cheapest GPS unit you can find these day.

Good color renditions of BLM, reservation, and unit outlines from some apps are a great tool and can keep you from getting in trouble.

Thanks! Excellent review. I will take a good look at this option.

rcdinaz,

I just purchased this Bluetooth device. I would like to call you with how to set up this device to my iPhone. I am mainly wanting to use this device for looking/tracking myself while looking at satellite imagery. I am unclear how to save screen shots and use them out in the field. I used to have a Bushnell onix that allowed this feature but the program online no longer exists. I need assistance. Thanks

No problem, I will send you a PM with my number.