How did you call it in? Were you using an electronic or hand held? How long did you call for, what type of call did you use. What kind of blind or set up did you use. Did you see it before or after you started calling. What type of country was it in?

I'm just curious because I enjoy predator calling but have only called in a few coyotes and a fox.

Guest Lark Hubbard

there is no doubt that lack of water is the biggest problem right now in Az. with everything. i think the lion sightings in sabino may be linked to the big fire last summer scouring out a lot of country. the deer and other animals have moved to where there is some feed and the cats followed them. all that aside, if they don't do something, some kid is going to get eaten. i thought it was pretty ironic that the day that our darling gov. stepped in and decided they would put on a circus instead of shooting a few lions that a lion was spotted on the grounds of an elementary school in the area. still, if every hunter that had a legitimate chance to shoot a lion, did, it wouldn't have a big impact on the population. in fact, shooting some of the big males would probably increase the population because they are so homicidal to the other younger lions, especially young males. the big old toms hunt down, kill and eat younger lions regularly. once while trailing a big tom, the hounds started baying treed. when we got there, the big tom we were tracking had killed a younger male. had a hard time getting the dogs off of the dead lion and back on the track we wanted. caught it later that day. anyway, do the deer a favor and shoot a lion when you get the chance. buy a tag when you buy your license. if you don't get one, the money is still going to a good cause. instead of donating money by checking the box, buy a lion tag. if you do or don't get one, it still goes into the general fund of the game and fish. look how much it would help if everyone bought a lion tag every year.

Lark

I will say that is some good advice you are giving. I tell all my hunters to buy a lion tag. Last year on a scouting Trip I told the guy to bring His rifle with a tag. He thought it would not be worth it. With in 15 - 30 minutes we had a dead lion to haul out with us. I always have a tag for bear and lion. I will shoot one while hunting. I had a guy get mad at us because he wanted to just get pictures of a lion. He got his pictures and we got a lion. I guess that may not have been the right thing to do a guide , But he was a great tom and one of my guy's had a tag.

Guest Guest_NMTcoueshunter

Very good advise Lark. I always carry a tag on the off chance that I will see a lion. I live in New Mexico and have only seen one. It got into the thick stuff before I could get a shot, but at least I got to try. Lion tags are fairly cheap and in my opinion everyone should carry one just in case they happen upon a lion. It still have not gotten my lion yet, but one of these years I will get one.

TREESTANDMAN,

I was bear hunting when I killed it. There were three of us and we were sitting back to back to back around an aligator juniper. We had seen a bear in that spot the night before and could not get to it before dark, so we started calling first thing the next morning. My buddies were the ones calling. They were using a fawn distress mouth call and were calling simultaneous. The lion came into 50 yards after about 5 minutes of calling. He was a small Tom (probably not much over a year old). We must of been right on top of him when we started. The country was rugged as we were on a land peninsula with steep canyons on either side. We were calling for bears, so we were not very well concealed. The lion caught the movement of me raising my gun and came in another ten yards very rapidly. The only thing visable above the tall grass was his head. The experience was a rush!!

Lark hit it right on the nose. If you are hunting in AZ then you should buy a lion tag every January.

I missed all the fireworks too. As for predators, we need to manage and manage closely to make sure we keep predators under control while we manage deer numbers. Someone just mentioned fawn mortality numbers and range conditions. Sure, range conditions play a huge role but as an example the Kaibab has approximately a 66% survival rate on fawns this year and their weights are good. Last year the survival was good as well. The carrying capacity on the Kaibab is substantially higher than the deer population so my question in this scenario is this. "Should any does be harvested on the Kaibab?"........I think we need to ethically kill alot more lions, coyotes, bobcats and transplant deer to various locations in the state instead of increasing doe harvests. We need a comprehensive game management plan that encompasses predators/transplanting of deer.............sorry CHD seems to be leaving, hope he doesnt and hope all of us can continue to express views in a way to offend the least amount of people.......Allen Taylor.........

I always buy a lion tag. Have seen only 2 in my life - briefly. One was in unit 10 during an elk hunt. Was driving down a dirt road and noticed 3 sheep (domestic). While looking at this odd sight, I noticed some movement 15 yds. behind the sheep. Was reaching for my rifle in an effort to get out and blast a 'coyote' when I realized what I was looking at was no coyote! Wasn't fast enough!

Saw the other while assisting some folks glass for deer in a 24A youth hunt. Spotted a lion at about 700 yds. Jumped up with excitement to get the other glassers on him so's I could run up the hill and get him. Couldn't re-find him!!

I'm gonna take a walk in the Verde area today. I always take my glasses, lion tag, hand gun and heeler mix that chases everything.

Maybe someday.....

Mike

Hey all, I am sort of showing up late to the dance, but on Oct 13, 2001 I was stalked and narrowly escaped an attack from a mtn lion while scouting elk in 6a. I was unarmed and the cat stalked me from 45 yards to about 12 feet before I scared him off ( scared him?? :ph34r: ).

I never saw one before this in my 30 plus years hunting AZ and it was a life changing experience. It took me several months to get fairly confortable hunting again as I was watching for lions more than elk or deer.

This cat was big and loud. Growling and Hissing the entire time he was moving toward me. Low crouched and focussed like the true predator they are.

God only knows how I turned him away at that distance.

I have the entire story posted on another site if you want it all.

When the hunter becomes the hunted!

I learned you do not go scouting without a gun Just in Case. I was unarmed and at least a half mile from my friend and 1/4 mile from the vehicle. I truly did see my life pass before my eyes and will NEVER forget that feeling! Since that time I have seen lots of tracks and scat from lions but still waiting with tag and gun in hand for the time I see one that I can harvest.

Anyway, as I was reading the posts above I thought how this group has such a decent group of members! Thanks to you all for your opinions and stories. Thanks too for the limited censoring to protect the majority of the group from unnecesary defamatory or inflamatory remarks.

Great job everyone!

Treestandman

I wrote the story of my encounter within 12 hours of the experience, on the night I got back from the trip since I did not want time to make the tale grow like many fish stories. I felt this would give me the most accurate reference when the memory faded. (I can say, it has not faded much if any to this day)

The only part of the story where I may have "stretched the truth" was the distance that the cat finally stopped from me. I really believe it was more like 6 feet but even I could not believe that! So I doubled my first estimate. My estimate was based on the length of the tree root I swung at the cat and where he finally stopped. I was so close I could see the saliva on it's teeth and could have counted the whiskers on it's face so I really feel it was more like 6 feet, but I am not going to change the details now.

Close call yes, and I am thankful to have survived. Being eaten alive was probably one of 2 ways I would hate to die. (being burned alive was the other)

Be careful out there, because mountain lions ARE watching you! :ph34r:

this a great topic close to many Arizona hunters,we are blessed with many trophy opportunities in this state and the chance to glass and stock a lion is at the top of my list,one of the last true animals at the top of their food chain.Ive been hunting 35 odd yrs and only have seen one lion and heard 2 others .Amanda this site is great with many people offering up heaps of good info.I have 2 chances on the San Carlos reservation this coming year,one for bear in August(unit C)and one for coues deer in Nov.would love any info on lions(saw you pics Amanda),would dearly love to finally put an end to a long quest,challenge is I want to do it without dogs,will carry a tag on both hunts........thanks to all for the info Steve

I would love to take a lion someday. We glassed one up in 36C once and no one had a tag. Last time for that. My buddies came across one in 20C this year that had been shot in the face, one paw cut off and the tail skinned. We called the AZGFD and they sent someone out to investigate. What a waste! No wonder the antis are livid. I didn't like hearing about it either