Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Disappointing Load Results 7mm-08

I've been reloading since 1969,and learned something new a couple of years ago.Most of my loads would shoot pretty good,but I had a couple of rifles that didn't like anything.Midway had a sale on the rubber doughnuts that slide down the barrel.They are made by Sims laboratories,and you can buy them for 15.00 or less.I tried one on each of those rifles,and both of them shot groups of an inch or less.It was almost imbarrasing,to think of all the powder I had shot up over the years trying to work up loads.Just an idea.

I've never heard of rubber doughnuts but will check them out. Thanks!

Those "rubber doughnuts", aka "X-Ring" can do a world of good. It takes some experimenting on where to place them on the barrel. The problem is, they are designed to mellow out the "barrel whip" and stabilize the harmonics of the barrel. So, when you need one, it really means your barrel is having a hard time handling the pressure your load is producing.

I've seen this most often with fluted barrels. Seems people like a very light countoured barrel, or even fluted to save some weight. If you look at what long range hunters, snipers, even rimfire shooters do, they opt for a heavier barrel. Even shooting .22 rimfire, a 1" bull barrel is the norm. So why do we see 5/8 inch fluted barrels on large magnum rifles? Because they sell. They don't perform - they appeal to a certain market segment.

I had a Weatherby Super Big Game Master in .300 Wby that had a fluted barrel, muzzle break all the tweaks and had a heck of a time making it group. Even used the "doughnut", which I still have if anyone wants it.

I bought a savage 114 Classic with a medium countour barrel, and it shoots sub MOA regardless of what I feed it.

So a $1400 gun took a ton of work to make it acceptible, and a 500 gun outshot it out of the box. The difference - the medium countour barrel on the Savage out-performed the fluted barrel on the Weatherby.

I purchased a Thompson Center "Venture" 7mm08 last year for my 13 year old son. I was going with the 243 but thought about Elk and heard with hand loads I could make a round with not much more recoil in the 7mm08. I'm really glad I went with the 08, there are so many more loading options for this cartridge. The TC Rifle is guaranteed 1"MOA or send it back. I wanted a Remington Youth but decided to try TC.

Not sure if it's the rifle or I just got lucky with my first try on the hand loads. This is what I came up with,,,Winchester Case, 44.4grs of IMR 4064, 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, Winchester Standard Rifle Primer, bullet seated at max length 2.800", 2900fps. This load was shooting real nice groups at 100yrds off a bench and the rifle was on a Caldwell Lead Sled. I achieved even better groups (most touching ) with the same Win Case, 44grs of 4064, 140gr Nosler Silvertips same primer and seat, 2800fps.

My son said he can feel the difference in the recoil with the 140s over the 120s and I believe I can too. Planning to shoot the 120s this year and move up to the 140s next year.

I put a 6.5X18X40mm Nikon Buckmasters with both elevation and windage turret scope on this rifle.

I agree with a couple other posts, I have an 8lb keg of 4350 that I shoot in my 7mag. This powder is the only one I'll use in the 7 Mag. I really wanted this powder to work but achieved better groups with the 4064, could be the rifle?

Good Luck......

Took my Savage, heavy barrel 25-06 out today on an antelope scouting trip with a buddy in hopes we'd find a coyote or some p-dogs to shoot at. I haven't shot this rifle in years - it's a little heavy to lug around, but it has always been a tack-driver. We found a little colony of prairie dogs and decided to take a break from glassing and burn a few rounds.

I missed a couple early on, but got settled in and started plinking them off anywhere from 180 yards to about 300. When you're shooting a target that is 3" by 6-8" depending on whether they are standing or grazing and getting as many hits as close misses, you know your gun is on. At first I was shooting sitting with my Harris bipod fully extended - still got a couple hits. Finally, I found a little rise and retracted the bipod and went prone. Anything moving was getting blasted, even way out.

The last shot I took was under 200 yards and I had to hold about 3.5" low and Mark was watching through the spotting scope. Total P-dog explosion. I missed most of it as the recoil took me off the sight picture when I shot, but he just started laughing, and describing what it looked like through a Leica spotting scope - I'll spare the gruesome details but you get the picture.

This was 25-06, 115 gr. CT Silver Tips, 50.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a COAL at 3.250 and it was like shooting a lazer. The older Accu-trigger is about 1.3 pounds on this gun. With the heavy barrel - it's not even fair.