Sign in to follow this  
chatcher

New to Dove Hunting

I've lived in Tucson all my life, and haven't been hunting in years... I'm 17 years old, and just recently got my own shotgun to add to my collection (Rem 700 in .308 and a Sig 229 in .357 Sig). The last time I went, I was about 12, when my grandpa and I got a javelina here in Unit 33. Needless to say, I don't know a darn thing about dove hunting, but have gotten pretty good with my shotgun, and would love to try it out. If anyone is willing to let me go with them, or to share some good spots around Tucson/Marana, I'd appreciate it. I shoot often, and know my gun safety. Thank you for the help!

Honestly, your best bet is to set up near a field, or near a water hole. Make sure you're legal and that you have enough ammo! That is always my issue.

I've got plenty of ammo stocked up... I know to set up near these spots, and hints for good spots around Marana? Ain't trying to steal your spot, just not so sure where to start here.

Man, we used to hunt all over Eloy and Arizona City (quite a bit more north from you though) but last year I didn't see one single bird out there. If you can find any kind of new torn up fields hunt around them. Water, like Casey said, is usually a good idea also. I hate to say it, but the birds are kind of where they are! Ive hunted places that looked great! and had to scrape every bird I shot, other areas are in the middle of no where and had birds galore! Scout out a few spots, take some buddies to split the gas. Good luck!

Sounds like that'll be my plan, no class on Friday so I'll be headed out with a buddy of mine... I was reading something about some stock tanks off of 77 between Catalina and Oracle. Whats the best way to make sure I'm legal in where I'm hunting?

make sure the area you're hunting isn't private property and you're more than 440 yards from any occupied buildings. if you have all day take the willow springs rd. off 77 lots of stock tanks, you can take that rd to freeman rd and loop back to highway between oracle jct, and florence when you get to the junction of willow you can go to the right towards dudleville or left and go towards florencd/kelvin highway. you will see a ton of cool country and should see some dove