Sign in to follow this  
skip

Peter Capstick

I have collected every Capstick book I could find and loved each one. Then I ran into another book, Something of Value. It is all hunting and all Africa, but it shed so much light on what is happening in the world today. This book should be required reading for everyone who bears arms.

Also, the movie The African Queen is based on a real x-pat sailor/soldier of fortune in Africa. Does anyone remember who that was?

I knew Peter Capstick and visited his home in South Africa several times. He was an extremely talented writer.

Your recent find, "Something of Value," was among the several great books with African themes written by Robert Ruark. You may also enjoy his "Uhuru," which also covers Kenya's Mau Mau uprising, "Honey Badger," "Use Enough Gun" and "Poor No More."

Unfortunately, the Africa that Ruark (and Hemingway) wrote about is long gone. Even Peter Capstick's Africa has changed since his death in 1996.

Don't know much about "The African Queen" movie except that it was based on a novel by C.S. Forester. He may have had a real person in mind when he created his book's hero but, as far as I know, the events depicted in the book and movie were pure fiction.

Bill Quimby

My Dad had a modest collection of African hunting books, including the Capstick book and video collection. When he passed away, all I wanted was his books, and a couple of his guns. Unfortunately , because of the animosity between my stepmother and I, those books will never end up in my hands.

It has been a long time since I watched the African Queen. That was with Humphrey Bogart.

I first read Capsticks books,Death in the long grass,Death in silent places,about 25 years ago.It was the kind of reading that you couldn't put down,very talented author.