Sign in to follow this  
SDHNTR

Pipe feeder?

We set our trail cams up over natural springs, but I can almost guarantee that within 10 hours a bear is gonna be knocking my camera around.

Repeated abuse will continue until they have satisfied their need to completely screw up my camera..............no attractant used, no bait no nothing........ :wacko:

With all do respect to everyone here it is not a grey area at all. Baiting itself is perfectly legal as long as you are not baiting bears. We have had this discussion many times on here.

I wrote up a whole thing on it with the laws attached, go to your search bar and type in "Laws Regarding Baiting" and you can see it. You can hunt over, around or with bait all day long (again) as long as it is not for bear.

If your damaging the land with salt or cutting up trees to make an area or blind for it then that is a different story. But it is 100% legal...see the other post to view the law. Think about it...if hunting over bait was illegal then we wouldn't be able to hunt over water holes or oak groves etc.

You, really going to compare natural food sources and water to dragging out bags of sweet feed, corn, deer cane or what ever you flavor is, that is one of the dumbest pro baiting arguments I have heard. .

It is the same thing... an attractant. food is food, acorns or corn, salt or water, whats the difference? If baiting is illegal. is there any difference in the two. The laws can be read different ways, depends on who is reading them.

With all do respect to everyone here it is not a grey area at all. Baiting itself is perfectly legal as long as you are not baiting bears. We have had this discussion many times on here.

I wrote up a whole thing on it with the laws attached, go to your search bar and type in "Laws Regarding Baiting" and you can see it. You can hunt over, around or with bait all day long (again) as long as it is not for bear.

If your damaging the land with salt or cutting up trees to make an area or blind for it then that is a different story. But it is 100% legal...see the other post to view the law. Think about it...if hunting over bait was illegal then we wouldn't be able to hunt over water holes or oak groves etc.

You, really going to compare natural food sources and water to dragging out bags of sweet feed, corn, deer cane or what ever you flavor is, that is one of the dumbest pro baiting arguments I have heard. .

It is the same thing... an attractant. food is food, acorns or corn, salt or water, whats the difference? If baiting is illegal. is there any difference in the two. The laws can be read different ways, depends on who is reading them.

Well, then you just answered the argument of why baiting for big game is not necessary or needed ... they all ready have the attractants out there and the hunter just needs to find it ... Seriously sweet feed, deer cane , peanut butter , none of these exist in nature and are nothing more than a candy to get the game addicted to come back to where the candy has been placed. If food is food, why not just let your kids grow up eating nothing but snickers bars and soda pop? You are using a stupid argument and I feel it is dumb to argue semantics.

Game will already be in areas that have food water and shelter, baiting is adding something desirable ( like candy ) that does not exist in the natural habitat to lure game to a specific location ... Not the same thing as the natural food supply, and whether you bait or do not bait, to try and say different is as about as ignorant as a person or hunter could get.

p.s. I stated before it is not illegal to bait deer but the process of hanging pipe feeders could constitute other laws being broke ( such as leaving personal property in National forest or damaging trees in the hanging process) , this constitutes a gray area as does the regular sign of bear being at your feeder... That is all that is being said, but my opinion is I do not care that people do it as it is currently a legal practice, but I do not care if it is made illegal, and with all honesty I know many other hunters out there who would like it to be illegal to Bait Big Game in Arizona as I do. Like you said they have what they need in nature why change the Game before changing ourselves ?

"that is one of the dumbest pro baiting arguments I have heard."

"You are using a stupid argument and I feel it is dumb to argue semantics."

"as ignorant as a person or hunter could get."

No one is asking that you argue. Someone suggested that it may be against the law and it was clarified. There are plenty of threads which are pro-baiting vs. anti-baiting to cover the semantics. Having said that, while I do not agree with your approach I respect the right you have to say it. Everyone has their own opinon and that is why this forum is great, we all get a chance to share them.

Thanks to those who posted info on these pipe feeders.

Most of this discussion is about the politics of baiting but there is some science to the subject. I read somewhere that because of the way that the Deer stomach works that corn etc does not digest the same way that natural food does. Does anyone know if the feed that everyone is throwing out is helping or hindering the Deer population? Are you stunting the growth of the Deer? Are you decreasing the fawn survival? Is all this stuff such as Deer Cain junk food for the Deer? What happens to the Deer that depend on your feed after the season is over and winter comes? Do you think that Lions would be smart enough to use a baiting spot to ambush the Deer?

I have heard dog experts say that if you want a good healthy bird dog then DO NOT feed your dog table scraps. Table scraps are junk food to your dog.

I have never had a bear pull one off a tree but I have had elk destroy them. Not sure if there will be elk where you are hunting. and I am sure javelinas will destroy them too.