Sign in to follow this  
JLW

spike elk poached

Are they saying that they shot a cow elk and inadvertently hit the spike with the same round or shot the spike and the cow separate? I know the penalties can be harsh but not a way to teach the younguns. I saw a quick news clip on Friday. This is not going to turn out well for the adults.

James

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Elk-poaching-being-investigated-in-northern-Arizona.shtml

Yeah, this will end badly but it could've been avoided and turned into a lesson of hunter ethics. It's what happens after an incident like this that matters. Im sure those involved didn't want to kill a spike, it was an accident. But if they would've called it in, it might not have been so bad. Of course, we all know what happened to the G&F officer when he turned himself in for a groundhog. They threw the book at one of their own so I'm sure that scared a lot of people.... This is just terrible all around, we lost a bull for next year, they'll lose their hunting rights for a while, a lot of money, maybe their rifle, and this will probably cause the young hunter to not want to hunt again. Lose-lose all around...

I find this to be even worse than a stndard poaching case if a youth hunter was involved. A very teachable moment wasl lost due to the irresponsible actions of the adult involed. Self reportimg wou;d have saved the Department a lot of time and money and taught the youngster proper ethics. Sad, very sad.

• Like 1