COOSEFAN

Coues country's other inhabitants

Well this is a different type of creature tha also lives in coues country.I have seen this scary "things" all my life and I have always ask my self if they are poisonous. Can you guys tell me what's the name of this thing if they are poisonous?? In Spanish people call them "mata venado" which means "deer killer" I dont think this insect or whatever it is kill deer becuase we will have dead deer all over the desert. Any way they are ugly!!

DSCN0345.jpg

Hey Scotty I know that area very well in 36C......I saw 3 snakes in the same area two Octobers ago in only one day!!

Ernesto, I have never seen one of those before but I think that they are called "mata g?ero"

I think we have always called them a child of the earth.

Guest Ernesto C

"mata guero" hahhahahha :D

AzGuide, my wife is telling me that they are also know as child of the earth.............now I'm confuse because I always had the idea that the child of the earth was with really short legs and smaller than this one; I dont know now.

Ernesto we always call them scorpion killers after we saw one eating a scorpion Iactually never kill them for that reason

Hey if any of you guys are interested in seeing all of the neat creepy crawlies in person or want to bring your family to see them in person get in touch with the Phoenix Herpetelogical Society, for a donation they will let you tour their place in scottsdale. They are really good people doing a great job educating and rescuing all types of reptiles

Hey Crotalus, It was about 7-8 years ago, but I do remember them saying that I was lucky that Good Samaritan Hospital had the Antivenin, and that supplies were short. You definitely know your stuff on this matter! My lasting effects are pain in the joints on my finger and I still don't, and probably never will, have feeling from the middle of my finger to the tip. It really hurts in cold tempuratures, I mean REALLY hurts. I have to specially wrap that finger up or make sure I have several handwarmers with me when it's cold out. My problem is this thread now.............Who's idea was it to put scorpion thingy's on here! :D I HATE any critter with more than 4 legs! I can't even stand killing them, don't want to see em' and don't want them around me! I am not joking! I have arachniphobia no doubt and would rather walk into a feild full of snakes than have 1 scorpion on me! I will have nightmares tonight about "Children of the Earth" attacking me! I'm not joking! THANKS ALOT. :) JIM>

Guest Ernesto C

"coues country's other inhabitants.....criters that bite" ....................I'm sorry it was me.....but I have the solution so you wont have nigtmares.....................dont sleep at all tonight :D

"coues country's other inhabitants.....criters that bite" ....................I'm sorry it was me.....but I have the solution so you wont have nigtmares.....................dont sleep at all tonight :)

"Critters that BITE!.............NOT critters that STING!" I am actually glad you posted that pic, I have seen those and always wondered what they were, but never cared to find out........just wanted them as far away from me as possible! I hate 8-legged critters all the same! But go ahead and post more of em'.......I'm diggin' out some more slimey snake photo's! :D JIM>

Here's one very upset Diamondback! I think this is the tallest I've ever seen one pose. JIM>

Diamondback1.jpg

I was Turkey hunting up in 4B one year with my dad, and was standing on an outcropping overlooking a deep ravine covered in Pine trees, I looked down and saw what looked like Turkey droppings on a ledge. Curious, I went down a little opening in the rocks to get a closer look, thinking it was crazy a Turkey could poop on such a small ledge! Upon closer inspection, I realized that it did look like Turkey poop, but was probably snake poop because there were coiled up AZ Black rattlers everywhere around me and they started buzzing. I pretty much "flew" back to the top of the rocks! There was a crack in the ledge that I was looking at that had a bunch of little black snake heads pointing out getting the morning sun! We have gone back to that spot several times since and there is always snakes in or around that outcropping. Here's a pic of one smaller AZ Black rattler. I don't think I ever got any good photos of that den site, but I'll check. JIM>

RattlerAZBlack.jpg

Here's one for you Jim, good night :D

100_1679.jpg

Thanks a whole bunch Mike! I appreciate it! :lol: :ph34r:

. Around these parts of the world the demographics of a snake-bite "victim" is : under 30 yo, white and bit in the hand...sometimes drunk.

Hey.. I think I fall right into that demographic!! :ph34r: :lol: Under 30, white, sometimes drunk, and mostly bit in the hand.. HMMM.. And for some odd reason it sure doesn't suprise me at all!! :lol:

Okay crotalus now that you all have skeered the heck out of me tell me what to do if i ever get bit 2 mile from the truck and alone ? It almost happened once already but theres gotta be a better way to handle it than to be scared all the time now.

My buddy and i were quail hunting when he got struck. He got lucky, but the snakes fang got hung up in the seam of his pants, but that is when it got scary he paniced and without thinking started unloading his 12 guage right next to his leg. To make a long and scary story short he got away with only meshing his undies