COOSEFAN

Coues country's other inhabitants

Some really sweet pics posted by everyone! Some really great critters out there. "hunt4horns" I'd probably pray real hard that I could get help soon ;) . But in all seriousness, one of the reasons no one should go out alone is because of such incidents as you describe. If you have to, just be careful of where you put yer hands and legs. No one should be "a-scared" of them rattlers cuz chances that you'll run into one is not great and chances that you'll be bite is even less. Think of how many times you've gone out and how many times you saw a snake and a poisonous one to boot. We all remember the scary incidents because they make us poop ourselves. If I were ever bit two miles from the truck I would get on the cell phone ASAP; if that is not possible remember that "time is tissue" when it comes to treating snakebites. One of the most important things to do if bitten is to remain calm (I know... :P ). What you want is not to move the venom by pumping it all over yer body. So the call is yers to make but I would never go out alone in an area known to be heavy in the rattler. By the time you reach a vehicle two miles away you will have probably been in shock and in to much pain to continue. So that is where yer buddy comes in handy. Get his/her scared butt running for help and wait. Better than pumping all that venom through yer body.

Here are a few pics more for the collection :

One really pissed off wbd

HPIM1010a.jpg

still not happy

HPIM1019a.jpg

Has anyone every seen one of these bad boys, they will put a hurt on you as well. Az Blister Beetle

041305013a.jpg

Well this is a different type of creature tha also lives in coues country.I have seen this scary "things" all my life and I have always ask my self if they are poisonous. Can you guys tell me what's the name of this thing if they are poisonous?? In Spanish people call them "mata venado" which means "deer killer" I dont think this insect or whatever it is kill deer becuase we will have dead deer all over the desert. Any way they are ugly!!

DSCN0345.jpg

Hey Scotty I know that area very well in 36C......I saw 3 snakes in the same area two Octobers ago in only one day!!

I found one of these in my house about three months ago. Let me tell you, these suckers are fast and hard to kill. That other bug that was posted looks like what I call a sand scorpion. We used to find huge ones in a warehouse I worked at about ten years ago near 23ave south of Deer Valley. They would attack anything you through in with them. We knew this because we would catch as many as we could and put them in a bucket with other poisonous insects and let them fight to the death. David

I think you have some serious issues you need to deal with there, David! :blink:

You guys have some great photo's, Crotalus, I love that one in the cactus, and also that Mohave that Tony has, very cool! Almost all of my pic's are scans from 35mm pics, didn't ever have a digital camera back in my young-n DUMB days, wish I had though! Thanks, JIM>

Sweet tort, Becker. BEWARE looks can be deceiving, they're actually quite stealthy :blink: . They are known to carry "numb-chucks" and assorted switchblades under the shell. Can attack unprovoked when cornered or handled. Known for going straight for the 'nads :lol: Should only be handled by trained mental health professionals.

Sweet tort, Becker. BEWARE looks can be deceiving, they're actually quite stealthy :blink: . They are known to carry "numb-chucks" and assorted switchblades under the shell. Can attack unprovoked when cornered or handled. Known for going straight for the 'nads :lol: Should only be handled by trained mental health professionals.

Thats pretty funny :o I saw this thread and thought I should jump in here, I just moved here from Pittsburgh and I too spend alot of time outdoors. I've seen more wildlife in the past 13 months here in AZ than I think I ever have. Here is one of my favorites I've come across since I've been here...

post-1290-1155053678.jpg

bhazherper, welcome to the state, and to the site!

That is a very close up photo, what kind of camera are you using?

Now.... how did that old rhyme go? Red and yellow kill a fellow, red, and black is no harm to Jack?

Now.... how did that old rhyme go? Red and yellow kill a fellow, red, and black is no harm to Jack?

It's a Kodak 5megapix EasyShare. (I'm pretty sure thats what its called) I swear by it, less than $300, small and takes great pics. I am into the whole reptile thing and have lots more to share...

Earlier in the thread, someone posted a Arizona Black from the Rincons and was replied to that it was pretty far out of its range but here are a few more shots of some Az Blacks from Readington Road in the Rincons...

This is one I collected last year...

and a couple more...

It's a Kodak 5megapix EasyShare. (I'm pretty sure thats what its called) I swear by it, less than $300, small and takes great pics. I am into the whole reptile thing and have lots more to share...

Earlier in the thread, someone posted a Arizona Black from the Rincons and was replied to that it was pretty far out of its range but here are a few more shots of some Az Blacks from Readington Road in the Rincons...

This is one I collected last year...

and a couple more...

here's a Sonoran Whip Snake. Though of the non-venomous species, still a great snake to come across while you're out there.

post-1290-1155055235.jpg

post-1290-1155055520.jpg

post-1290-1155055851.jpg

this thread gets more and more interesting...awesome pics....ive never come across any snakes...i did get stung by a scorpion...that was real painful :D ...

Iand also that Mohave that Tony has, very cool!

Jim,

That's also a 35mm scan, and there's a VERY humorous story about that pix.

I shot that during the pitch black of 3:00 a.m. on property owned by the U of A. I was there with one of the biology professors to specifically take rattler pix. They had surgically implanted radios in several of them, which would make them easy to find. So we ate dinner and went to bed at 9, then got up at 2 and headed to the tract of land where the snakes were set loose several weeks earlier. Before we went to bed, however, we set out a few small critter traps, baited with oatmeal. We had hoped to catch a mouse or two to feed a snake.

We each had a fanny pack with our cameras, and I wielded a big flashlight and the snake stick. My buddy carried the antenna/receiver and had a field mouse we had caught in his jacket pocket. He also had some monofilament, which we planned to tie to the mouse's leg and lead him in front of a snake.

Less than 100 yards from the truck, we picked up a strong signal and started toward it. On the way, we came to the edge of a fairly deep and wide wash. My friend stopped alongside some brush and I walked within about three feet of him. He told me that we had to watch those areas close because the snakes liked to hunt alongside the washes, and he preferred if we could find one that didn't have a radio in it. That way feeding it wouldn't disrupt any of the research his students were doing. So I think I just nodded my OK.

Right then, I pointed the flashlight beam toward the ground between us. The snake in the photo was all comfy and curled less them a foot from either of us. He could have had his pick on which one to bite but never even raised his head or rattled. My first words, "Oooohh, s**t" but before I got the second word out, Norm had already jumped six feet sideways and three feet up. I followed suit a second later.

Unfortunately, we never did get the snake to eat. On the first pass in front of its nose, the mouse wiggled loose from the mono and left town. ;)

Love the coral snake Herper! I spent a few years herping and breeding colubrids and only came across 1 coral.

Awesome story Tony! Gives me the heeby-jeebies reading it though! :P JIM>