COOSEFAN

Coues country's other inhabitants

I'm stuck at home again so figured I start a new thread. There has been some awesome photos of Gila Monsters and Rattlers lately, maybe we can see some others here in this thread. I had a serious fascination with poisonous critters when I was younger, hunted them, collected them, photographed them and even got bit by them ( which forced me to avoid them from that point on) ;) I have since given it up, but I always look for them and enjoy seeing any reptile out in Coues country, as long as I'm not standing on it!

This one is a AZ Blacktail, the most aggressive one I've seen, on the Res last year.

RattlerBlacktail5.jpg

This is just a cool photo of a Western Diamondback.

Rattler1.jpg

This is an AZ Black Rattlesnake that is in the process of shedding, these things can blend into anything!

RattlerAZBlack3.jpg

This is two Western Diamondbacks that I found together, probably getting ready to mate, but got all upset that I disturbed them and the lighter colored snake started biting the dark one. You can see the fangs from the one sinking into the dark snake. The dark snake eventually died. The lighter snake is actually pushing 6 feet in length and the tanned skin stretched to 6 1/2 feet! These monsters were on the Res also. Thanks JIM>

Rattlersbiting.jpg

Here's some Gila Monster pic's. This one was by Roosevelt Lake and was the biggest one I'd ever seen, I have never and will never pick one of these guys up, they scare the heck outta me! Scottyboy has nerves of steel! ;) JIM>

Gilamonster-1.jpg

Gilamonster.jpg

Gilamonster-2.jpg

Awesome Awesome pics Jim!! Close up and personal ;)

Thanks Deerslam, like I said it used to be my passion and have litterally hundreds of pictures of rattlesnakes, I just never thought anyone here would want to see them, BUT I'm bored stuck at home, so...here's more! ;)

These are AZ Blacktails:

Rattlerblacktail2.jpg

RattlerBlacktail.jpg

And a couple more.......

This is a Mohave Rattlesnake, these are one of the rattlers that you DO NOT want to get bit by, they have the most potent venom out of all.

Rattlermohave.jpg

And this is the Sidewinder, bunches of these by my house and this little sucker is what almost killed me about 10 years ago. I used up my one chance to use anti-venin when I got bit, and can only hope if I ever get bit again it's a DRY bite! The Doc said Anti-venin is a one shot deal and pretty much doesn't work the next time. The Sidewinders venom is also the most painful because unlike the other rattlesnakes, it's venom attacks your nerve system. SO I try to stay away from snakes anymore but find em' all over even where you least expect to see one! I believe I'm cursed by the snake gods for cheating death and for all the snakes I've messed with over the years! Gotta give them things respect for sure! JIM>

Sidewinder.jpg

Alright.......last ones......... the first is a Speckled Rattlesnake, more rare than the others, I've only seen a couple.

RattlerSpeckeled.jpg

The shot on this Diamondback was set up, but the skull was laying in the same bush as the snake and was how I found the snake, bent down to pick up the skull and he started buzzin', I just threw the skull down by him for the pic. Thanks, JIM>

Rattlersskull.jpg

So it used to be RATTLESNAKEFAN :ph34r:

I love the pics of the different species.

Im getting sick now. I hate the darn things. I have no problem with anyone liking them, But you know what i do to them. :ph34r: Nice pictures though.

i dont mind snakes at all but rattle snakes scare the heck out of me, when i am walking for quail i keep my head down and people always give me crap so i just i'm looking for sheds. been lucky so far i've gotten dry bitten twice so i know the next time its 4 real (3rd times the charm). i respect the heck out of them but from a far far distance. :ph34r:

Thanks Coosefan went to bed about an hour ago and the first thing that popped into my mind was your pics now I'm laying on the couch with my laptop scared to walk back to the bedroom were all those snakes are waiting for me under the covers. Nice pics!

Buckhorn

Sheez them critters are all over the state.. Good job right before archery elk season and going to sit in some wood piles :ph34r: Better keep my eyes peeled ...

This is the only thing i want to see...

Thanx for sharing - Learned quite a bit about the different kinds..

doug

AzP&Y

post-898-1154779365.jpg