Sign in to follow this  
Simple Hunter

Bacon Wrapped Venison Backstrap

Last night my wife and I prepared one of the backstraps from my son's deer and it was delicious. We don't know where the recipe came from, so we are definitely not laying claim to it.

Ingredients:

• 2 pounds venison backstrap (tenderloin)
  • 1 quart apple cider
  • 1.5 lbs thick sliced bacon
  • 2(12 oz) bottles of barbecue sauce, your choice

Directions:

• Cut large backstrap into 2, small enough to fit in small baking dish that you can cover them in milk with
  • Soak them in milk for 2-3 days (refrigerated)
  • Remove backstrap pieces, rinse
  • Place backstrap pieces back into clean baking dish and pour apple cider to cover them. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove, pat and dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour BBQ sauce over the backstrap pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 more hours
  • Remove meat from fridge and let stand for 30 minutes
  • Wrap each piece of backstrap in bacon and secure with toothpicks
  • Brush the grill with olive oil when hot and place backstrap pieces on the grill. Grill low to medium heat. The longer you can grill them at low heat, the less the bacon gets burned up. Backstrap is pretty thick so you may have to cut into the middle of bigger pieces to get the middle cooked faster

Result is you won't even know you are eating venison - the kids commented that it tasted great.

I like to soak a 6 to 8" long chunk in the apple juice, then wrap with bacon and turn on the grill until the bacon is crispy, then cut into steaks. The apple juice is the only marinade.

The only thing lacking from this post of epic awesomeness if a picture!

You know I will definitely take a picture on the next backstrap - I don't know why I didn't think of that.