Sign in to follow this  
huntin4...

Two Youth Javelina

Two of my sons, Cyr 16 and Colton 11, had javalina tags for the youth hunt. We went out on Friday and found some javelina. We try to work are way closer but they were on the move and ended up on some private land. It was getting late in the day and we didn’t find any others that day. Saturday morning we went out and glassed a few areas. We parked and Cyr and Colton had walked over to glass a ridge that we see a lot of javelina on. Colton came back to the truck and said they have found some. The javelina were feeding down a wash and we had a pretty good breeze going in our favor. We made our way along the wash to try to get ahead of the javelina a little and set up for a shot. We had made it ahead of them and Colton spotted one coming our way. We set up where we think we have a few shooting lanes. As the javelina move across in front of us they end up in a low spot in our biggest shooting lane. Colton said he wanted to shot a big one, but one of them started feeding towards us. I told him he might want to shot that one or we might be busted. Colton decided he would take this one. Ended up with about a 15 yard shot right through the shoulder and drop him right there.

post-3647-0-13810100-1354601298_thumb.jpg

At the shot the javelina scattered but stayed in the area. Cyr tried to set up for a shot but he couldn’t get one through the brush. So he sat down and I found a dry century plant behind him a little ways and started rustling the leaves and making a little noise. Pretty soon he had 3 javelina coming right to him. He had them come about 5 yards in front of him and was able to shot one. When he shot one of the javelina run right to him and went by him within a couple of feet, he was a little worried he has going to be eaten. We had a fun time. It was Colton first big game animal and the first javelina for both of them.

post-3647-0-91773500-1354601440_thumb.jpg

We weren’t far from home so we took them both home and skinned them out and deboned all the meat and started a fire in the pit. We put the meat in the pit that evening for the night and had a bunch of family over the next day and ate most of those two pigs. The meat turned out really good and everyone enjoyed it. Some of them didn’t know javelina was so good.

post-3647-0-26570800-1354601134_thumb.jpg

That is Cameron in the middle, he should be hunting next fall.

Congrats to both of your sons! I hope i have the same luck this feb!

Awesome! Way to get it done Fellas!