Sign in to follow this  
Joe Kauffman

4 days + 228 deer = 0 bucks!

Everyone of those does had a father. Sometimes bucks are just a totally different animal. They find a place with good feed and stay in that small area for days or weeks and move very little. I don't think they tolerate a human in there area and go nocturnal really fast. I bet almost every buck has either heard, seen or smelled a hunter in their core area in the last 3.5 months since archery started. Just my opinion.

Sounds pretty close to my experience. Saw 2 bucks that stayed out til about 820 one morning. Couldn't get in before they topped over the hill into oblivion.

That's the problem with being the 5th hunt. The bucks get to be old by knowing how to avoid hunters. I think they were mostly nocturnal the first half of that hunt. Couldn't tell you about the last half as we called it good.

36a was my first choice unit growing up, and I've hunted it for 18 years now. The last few years have been worse and worse on all the hunts from what I've seen. I think I'm to the point Id stay home over 36a.

On the positive side, I saw a lot more mule deer in there than I have since I was just a pup. None of them had horns either though.

I noticed the same thing. We always see some mulies there but the population seemed to be higher than I've seen down there in the past. And we did see 5 mulie bucks, 1 spike with does, 2 forkies with does and a 3x3 & 4x4 running together. The 3x3 was the biggest mulie I've seen in 36a yet.

At least this storm moving in will be perfect timing for the start of the archery hunts, I love the first cold day after a December storm for chasing bucks with a bow!

Everyone of those does had a father.

Saturday morning I was telling my buddy how we need to get in touch with a biologist to let someone know that the does in 36C have learned how to reproduce asexually. Five minutes later we finally found a buck...after glassing 65+ does and fawns in a row.

• Like 2

There were seven of us in 36B for the early Dec hunt a couple weeks ago and it was the same way. Between all of us I am sure that we saw well over 200 does and fawns. But we did see 4 bucks total with a couple of them nice. The bucks were there, they were just harder to find.

I was in 36b for the early December hunt, and glassed 30 deer, 6 were bucks. My dad and I scored on two decent 80ish 3x3s. (Will post a story this weekend) They are there, you just need to find them.