DesertBull

The world has gone crazy

You can ban every thing from nail clippers to RPG's but it won't make you or I even .001% safer.

Armed security won't guarantee safety but its a great start!!!! Obama say's he wants to create jobs why not have a "School Safety Marshal" branch of the Dept of Homeland Security! Better security (armed) in public places is the simple solution!

How about if one of the office staff had a concealed weapons permit? And just by chance was carrying his or her hand gun of choice on that day........ outcome may have been much different and that person would be deemed a hero.....

Freedom comes with inherent risk attached to it. God created Adam and Eve with freedom to make choices, knowing full well that they might make the wrong choice. Accountability is critical in a free society. Every choice has consequences. I don't pretend to have all the answers to the mess our society is in, but I do believe we must ask God's forgiveness for our blatant disregard of his Word. 2 Chronicles 7:14 is a good recipe for restoring a nation to God's favor.

• Like 2

How about if one of the office staff had a concealed weapons permit? And just by chance was carrying his or her hand gun of choice on that day........ outcome may have been much different and that person would be deemed a hero.....

As I was working at school today, Jr. High, this kept running through my head. It is a tough responsibility and would require some serious teacher training.

Here is one thing I have argued with my administration for years.

Lockdown......we close and lock the doors and go into the most protective part of our room. No windows so a "sniper" can't shoot kids through the windows. I always felt like we were putting ourselves in a fish barrel just waiting to be killed.

Or, bomb threat, we march students out onto the football field.......wide open to be mowed down.

There are so many ways a sick and demented person can just make a mess of things I have to agree with DB.......somebody will find some way to prove their point, make a name for themselves.........what ever the reason.

Prayers for those families who have been hurt by this senseless act.

Scriptures say "If ye do this to the least of one of these little children, you would rather a milstone be hung around your neck and plunged to the depths of the seas."............

I can imagine the majority of mental instability begins at the homefront. Maybe a dysfunctional family, abuse, lack of attention? Couple that with todays violent movies, video games and all the stuff on the internet, and you have a recipe for disaster when you mix in any form of mental illness/. Even if the parents know that they have a problem child, it would be very difficult for any parent to turn their child over to mental instituion.......until it's too late!

"As I was working at school today, Jr. High, this kept running through my head. It is a tough responsibility and would require some serious teacher training.

Here is one thing I have argued with my administration for years."

I totally agree... I taught for 4 years and I never had faith in my fellow teachers... Sad but true.. I am not sure if putting a gun in alot of teachers hand is a good idea

• Like 1

In reading about people who commit these horrific acts, there seems to be at least one common thread. They have a serious disconnect from other family members. The Columbine shooters were known to be isolated from their parents to the extent that, they would spend 2 days and nights on a mountain behind their house, and the mothers had no idea where they were. Parents were, for the most part, unaware of what these kids were doing in their bedrooms and on their computers. A serious warning sign! Parents should know whats going on with their kids even though they may be teen-agers. If a 20 year old kid is living in mom and dads house, the same applys. If your kid is a virtual stranger to you and the rest of the family, you might be heading for disaster!

• Like 1

I am ready for the rapture. PLEASE let it happen soon.

Funny - I was thinking that too.

I'm a pretty staunch 2nd Amendment guy but every time one of these happens, it take a little bit of my resolve away...

People like you need to go turn in your weapons and let the government "protect you".....LOL It takes resolve to make the decision to protect yourself! It takes resolve to make the decision to pull that trigger when it is time to !!!! If you are losing your resolve over what some nut job has done to defenseless teachers and chilrens than you don't deserve to have a weapon!!!!! Hey Muskrat , are you really so spineless as to loose your resolve or is it that you have never made the decision to protect yourself!......

People like you need to go turn in your weapons and let the government "protect you".....LOL It takes resolve to make the decision to protect yourself! It takes resolve to make the decision to pull that trigger when it is time to !!!! If you are losing your resolve over what some nut job has done to defenseless teachers and chilrens than you don't deserve to have a weapon!!!!! Hey Muskrat , are you really so spineless as to loose your resolve or is it that you have never made the decision to protect yourself!......

Really? Wow.

I was talking about the resolve to make the same intellectual arguments over and over, to people who were making emotional and visceral statements. not my resolve on gun rights. Frankly, it is spokespeople like yourself that are weakening "our side" because you come across as a ranting buffoon, not an educated, rational proponent of fiirearms ownership. As far as what I have done in my life, or would/could do in any given situation, you don't know that about me any more than I know it about you. Again, your ignorance is showing.

• Like 3

There is nothing wrong re-evaluating your stance on gun control. We should all do it, I also think that those that should be advocating for guns rights are too smart to get into the conversations and those that are advocating are just knuckle-heads.. We need to accept that the world is changing around us and the good-old boy inbred redneck persona does nothing but make us look bad.

J-

• Like 1

Take this in stride as I found it in the comments section under an article, but I think its worth reading.

I hate to become a one-trick pony on these message boards, but I'm going to bring up an old theme I've been harping on lately: nihilism.

We live in an age of moral relativism that, having no foundation on which to stand, is rapidly descending into nihilism - the absence of morality or any justification for it. I'm going to leave the shooter's intentions alone for the time, as I'm sure those will be discussed at length for weeks.

I'm talking about nihilism not just in the shooter, but in the broader culture that attempts to understand these horrific events without a moral reference point. In the aftermath, we attempt to get more and more legalistic, bureaucratic, and technocratic to solve problems that can't be legislated away.

These events are products of sick, evil people in an increasingly sick culture that has no stomach for "outdated" concepts like absolute right and wrong. We believe if we could just pass enough well-worded laws, we could eliminate this behavior from society. We treat these tragedies as outputs, thinking that we can just tinker with the inputs enough to get our desired results.

For God's sake, the bodies were still warm and we were already talking about piles upon piles of statistics, as if the problem of violent gun crime could be solved mathematically with some study or Congressional inquiry. I'm afraid that, absent the presence of morality in our discussions of these murders, we have no tools to solve the underlying problems except legalism and policy making. People will keep fixating on the problems with guns because we've become woefully inadequate at talking about problems inherent in humanity.

It always amuses me in pitying way when I hear people retreat even further into nihilism after an event like this by making that old appeal to the "Argument of Evil" which asks, "If there truly is a good god, why does he allow such evil deeds?" As if the very presence of evil invalidates the possibility or under-pinning for good!

Forgive my frustration, but what right do we have to even speak about evil in our society? We are so immersed in violence, greed, sex, instant gratification, and materialism that we've lost all sense of what evil even looks like. To know evil, you must first know good. And while we work ourselves into a righteous huff over "evil" for 2% of the year when these disgusting acts occur, for the other 98% we desperately try to rebel against all forms of conventional morality - that cramps our style, doesn't it?

A child one minute before passing through the birth canal can have a pair of surgical scissors put through his or her brain without society batting an eye. A fully formed, breathing, crying, desperate, helpless baby who is the result of a botched abortion has no entitlement to life in parts of this "enlightened" Western world. And we talk about "evil"?

Government officials pass guns to cartels to slaughter civilians, and we get to talk about "evil"?

Corrupt businessmen get to use their connections to the power brokers in Washington to access public funds to bail out their billion dollar corporations (who went broke in part due to unbridled greed), and we sit here and talk about evil?

We can start talking about "evil" when we as a society find our lost sense of "good". But we can't relegate morality to the fringes, then demand to know where God was.

I can imagine the majority of mental instability begins at the homefront. Maybe a dysfunctional family, abuse, lack of attention? Couple that with todays violent movies, video games and all the stuff on the internet, and you have a recipe for disaster when you mix in any form of mental illness/. Even if the parents know that they have a problem child, it would be very difficult for any parent to turn their child over to mental instituion.......until it's too late!

Here is a good example of what I was talking about

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/

Really? Wow.

I was talking about the resolve to make the same intellectual arguments over and over, to people who were making emotional and visceral statements. not my resolve on gun rights. Frankly, it is spokespeople like yourself that are weakening "our side" because you come across as a ranting buffoon, not an educated, rational proponent of fiirearms ownership. As far as what I have done in my life, or would/could do in any given situation, you don't know that about me any more than I know it about you. Again, your ignorance is showing.

Ague your limitations and sure enough they are yours ! Sounded to me like your are just another quitter with no real position ,,, A fence sitter!