Sign in to follow this  
Jay Scott

New KUIU Pieces-Super Down Jacket and Merino 230 Zip-T

1+Super+Down+KUIU+Parka+Review+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors.jpg

I am excited about the arrival of two new pieces of hunting gear from KUIU that showed up just in time for Christmas! First, is the much anticipated Super Down Jacket which uses Toray's QuixDown water repellent treatment for the down feathers in the jacket. This jacket is definitely a piece that I have been wanting since I heard about it. This jacket only weighs an amazing 10 ounces and has a hood. For exact specs on this jacket and demonstration of the water repellency on the down click on this link. The next piece of gear is the KUIU Merino 230 Zip-T that is made up of a durable of 100% TMC Merino wool jersey face and 100% brushed 100% polyester fleece inside to make a shirt that is the perfect blend of 50% Merino wool and 50% polyester. Both of these pieces will be put to the test during the Coues Deer rut hunts coming up in Sonora, Mexico this January. Can't wait to get started!

2+KUIU+Merino+230+ZIP+T+review+with+Jay+Scott+Outdoors.jpg

View the full article

very nice,i will have to check them out,thanx for the update,let us know how they work out on your mexico hunt ...the only problem with down is the that thee material rips so easy ,basically not good in brushy country i have had to sew my down jacket several times because of that but you cant beat the weight for backpack hunts and those jackets are very warm almost too hot at times.

Jay, I will anxiously be waiting your honest review of the Super Down Jacket. I have a Patagonia down jacket that I've been using on my early Colorado backpacking hunts and my late season Arizona hunts. I like the jacket and love the warmth but like most down jackets go it has its limitations. I've always used it as a layer over a merino or synthetic base and wear it under a shell jacket with water resistant properties. Even with this system I have my concerns in September on a 12K foot mountain in the Colorado backcountry when rain storms sometimes occur every day. I think this new Quix Down would give me a lot of peace of mind! That video on the Kuiu site where they put the down in the jars with water says it all. Keep us posted!

Sign in to follow this