GRONG

Maybe I'll give it a try

billrquimby, I have a quick question. I am using a Marlin 1894 .44 mag with 240 grain flat nose bullets on my bear hunt. I doubt the shot will be more than 30 yards with the type of terrain I am in. Do you think this is sufficient to kill a bear cleanly? I have other guns I could use, but I really wanted to shoot one with my lever action. I also have a model 336 in 30-30 that I can bring along. David

Either will kill a bear nicely.

BQ

i've killed a truck load o' bears and lions with a .22 pistol (until they outlawed em). but almost all up a tree with a pack o' hounds around it. i've seen a bunch of em shot with .357's and .44's and 9mm's too. and i've seen some sorry shots that turned things into a fiasco. i could tell stories for days about that stuff. with bears, most folks don't realize how much different they are built than hooved animals and don't shoot accordingly. but inside of 50 yards or so, a guy that knows his peestola, should be able to shoot a deer with a lot of confidence. i've shot a lotta stuff with a bow with no problems. a good, accurate pistol oughta be just as deadly as a bow. especially if you want to move up to a .44 mag. some of these new pistols are like elephant guns. .500's and .480's and such. why pack around a pistol that weighs as much as a rifle, kicks harder and busts your ear drums, when a rifle is a lot better? .357's are real puny when compared to even a .30/30, but just like everything, use it accordingly. eleanor o'connor shot a bull elephant with an '06. karamojo bell shot something like 20,000 of em, most of em with a .303 british and a 7x57. but i wouldn't do it. be smart, things'll work out. Lark.