coues7

Developing Loads

The thing that worries me about all load development is there are literally thousands of combinations....WHERE DO YOU EVEN START?

I really like the noslers....but the sierras may work better.

I got federal primers but maybe the winchesters would be better.

I bought 200 rounds of Remington brass (brand new) but maybe Winchester would be better.

And just where in the heck do I start with powders.....R19, R22, 4064, 4350 etc...????

You have to start with a rational approach---unless your retired, have NO life, or are just obsessed---you WILL NOT have enough time to try every possible combination. At least not before "this" season is here :)

At this point is where some reading should come into play. Research should be your focus right now.

Go to Sportmans Warehouse and thumb thru loading books. Better yet---buy some.

So, simply "PICK" one type of brass, then "PICK" one type of appropriate primer----"PICK" a powder that has a reasonable track record with THAT caliber, THEN "PICK" your bullet(s).

Now it's time to build some loads---like previously described---then test them. If you find that dream load in there, well, there you go---time to go kill a Coues with it.

IF.......you don't get anything acceptable out of that, time to "shake" up the combination.

I have had to "shake" up the combo. before because no "acceptional" loads stood out in a first "run thru"---but only had to change bullet brand/type----finding the right load isn't that hard if you are paying attention to what you're doing.

Loading is a very "personal" thing for guys, there are many "right" ways of doing things (of course plenty of wrong ways too--be safe)---and you will develop your own methods and techniques. Have patience and don't get distracted. Record everything. really make a commitment to it before dumping a bunch of money into equipment---otherwise you will be selling it at half price later.

Now get out there! And win one for the CWT team! :angry:

Get yourself a good log book, database , or speadsheet to document your loads. Make sure you document both the good and the bad ones.

There is a software called Point Blank (free) that will make it easy for you to catalog your loads and results and will also show you what to expect as far as ballistics for each load.

To choose a powder, I look for the slowest powder that gives close to max velocity with a load density of about 95%. I like the shell filled with room to seat the bullet, but don't want a compressed load. H4350, H4831sc, RL 19&22 would be good choices. Use a magnum primer, like the Fed 215M.

Ramshot Magnum is a powder I would definitely try. It meters well and is temperature insensitive. My shortmags do well with the Ramshot Hunter. Sportsmans Warehouse has Ramshot powders.

The Nosler 180 Ballistic tip should be accurate and work well on coues. It has a little thicker jacket than the other smaller calibered Ballistic Tips. I have had real good success with the Nosler Accubonds for accuracy. The Hornady Interbonds have been disappointing to my rifles.

My 300 Win Mag likes 180 Accubonds and 69.0 gr of H4350 with Fed 215M primers

Doug~RR

when i was gettins started, i ordered winchester brass for all my rifles. because i am on a tught budget, that is what i ordered, Lapua and Norma brass are both 'better' so if the budget will allow it, thats what i would get.

as far as bullets, pick the one you want to use and load it with different powders and primers. if nothing shows potential, then mess with the over all length

Try a 165 nosler bt, neck size, set your bullet as far out as you can without touching the lands, the magazine will probably dictate the max length, weigh every charge to be consistent. Glass bed your stock if it hasn't been already. Lighten up your trigger also if it is a factory one. Good luck

I use H4831 in mine and it shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I have also notice when working up loads that the higher the charge in my rifle, the tighter the group. This held true in my fathers rifle also.

I will give your suggestions a try. I have the nosler reloading book......so on any reloading book do you all just start at the most accurate load and powder that the book recommends and start 5 grains lower than max?