rygo72

What do you use to keep it steady?

Depends on the situation. If I have time I'll get a solid rest over my pack. I also use the Mossback shooting tripod. It's light, very adjustable and steady. It comes in handy if there aren't any trees or other natural rests available.

I use the Snipe-Pod and I really like it with one exception! When the packaging says not to use the bipod as a rifle-rest its for real. Bumped 2 different rifle scopes out of alignment in one hunt before I learned the way to make a rest out of the Snipe-Pod. Also if you buy one I would suggest getting one that you can use while sitting. If you only extend it partially it works great in the prone position.

Lee

I use the stoney point steady stix since I have found them to be really light and quick. If the terrain is to uneven though also use my pack if I have time.

Seems like a lot of people do not bother with the extra weight and complications of additional gear for this purpose. I take that in the topography where most people hunt the usefulness of bipods and other similar gear seems to be hit or miss. I think ill take off the Harris bipod and give it a try. Thanks for all the input.

I am suprised that so many people have problems with bi-pods on steep hills. I have used mine on steep slopes shooting both uphill and down and have not had a problem. Some times I will have to extend the legs and shoot from the sitting position but I think that this is still a little bit steadier than stix.

The last several deer hunts I've been on have been in the pines, so there's been an abundance of pine trees to use for rests.

Does anyone use a gun rest that attaches to their tripod? I'd think the amount of time it would take to get set up would be the biggest factor. I'll have to play with my bogen pistol grip to see how it would be to shoot off that similar to what kast1 referred to.

Ron

Like R.R. said a rear rest makes a big difference! Most guys will sandbag the front and rear of their rifles on the bench but never think twice about a rear support in the field. As far as how I keep it steady, I usually sit on Coosfan's lap and put my barrel through his toes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shortypants.......that was supposed to stay between us :angry:

Now that my "rifle-toe-rest" tachnique is out in the open for all to read, I DO offer this service to my clients at no extra charge, it greatly increases accuracy and self confidence with all my hunters, and the bond that is created, will last forever and will have you returning year after year! :D I am in the process of teaching Shortpants this technique but the fact that he never wears pants, has most clients a little leary! :blink:

I haven't read through all the posts yet, for fear of seeing whatever else S.P. has posted about me, but my preference for steady shooting is my tripod AND shooting sticks. I have had too many encounters with fumbling too long with a bipod that I wont use them unless I'm on an Antelope hunt. Shooting sidehill or any uneven terrain requires time consuming adjusting. A bipod is probably the steadiest way to support the front half of the rifle but the back half is still up to you. I use my tripod/or backpack for the front half of the rifle, and use my shooting sticks under the butt of the gun. It can be adjusted up or down fast by spreading the legs on the rear and will work on any level of ground. This is incredibly steady because you are stabilizing the rear of the gun as well. My .02, JIM>

The last several deer hunts I've been on have been in the pines, so there's been an abundance of pine trees to use for rests.

Does anyone use a gun rest that attaches to their tripod? I'd think the amount of time it would take to get set up would be the biggest factor. I'll have to play with my bogen pistol grip to see how it would be to shoot off that similar to what kast1 referred to.

Ron

I have an attachment for my tripod but haven't used it yet. I usually just turn the head over on the tripod to create a flat spot and this can be done fast even if the tripod isn't pefectly level. If I have time, I would always rather shoot off my backpack with the rifle fully supported front to back.

This is the first time I have heard of supporting the rear of the gun.I have always tucked her in to my shoulder and braced the top of the butt with my left hand.I have no problem with steadiness in this position.I do prefer sitting down though to standing or lay down.My last coues was at 339 yards bedded in some grass and presented about 8 inches of his upper body,He never moved again.

This is the first time I have heard of supporting the rear of the gun.I have always tucked her in to my shoulder and braced the top of the butt with my left hand.I have no problem with steadiness in this position.I do prefer sitting down though to standing or lay down.My last coues was at 339 yards bedded in some grass and presented about 8 inches of his upper body,He never moved again.

I had never thought about supporting the rear of a gun either, until a guy showed me last year. He is a long range shooter and practices with the tripod and shooting sticks for hunting situations. It is amazing how steady you can get using the shooting sticks under the rear of the gun. I actually place the sticks over my lap in the sitting position, and just behind the grip part of the stock. My rifle will actually sit there by itself like a bench rest. My buddy also makes his own shooting sticks which can be shortened to any length on either leg so if you are on uneven ground the stock will sit evenly on the sticks. This isn't the fastest set-up but for me it's the most solid. Try it, you'll be surprised, JIM>