I've been watching the weather and getting reports from friends in southern Arizona. It appears that the area had some well needed winter moisture. Does anyone have an opinion or educated guess on it's effect on the drought, or was it not even enough for wishfull thinking. My father and I have hunted Coues since I was small, but I don't remember seeing as few Coues as I did last November, since the early 70's. Local rancher blame the drought and lions for the decline. We did find 8 dead lion killed bucks on our last trip. We did see deer, and several bucks, but antler mass and size was not up to par from several sheds we found and buck we have killed in the past. Craig

P.S. Great site Amanda!!

My personnal opinion is that the rain that we did get the first part of this year didn't really do anything. Arizona has been in a drought for at least 10 years. It would need to rain 20 inches a year for 10 straight years to get us out of this drought. Just take a look at the record low number of deer permits that will be available this year to give you a clue how bad it is here. The successful hunter will just have to continue to work harder and harder for their trophy.

Arizona Griz.

The water we have recieved this year will help, but like Griz said we need more. Also, there have been a few water projects installed last year and there will be water tanks installed this year from non profit associations like the Arizona Deer Association. I think the combination of adequate rain and installing water in areas will help for this year and the future. Last years lack of mass on the antlers was obvious in Mexico and some parts of Arizona. I saw lots of deer, but the horns were spindly.......Allen Taylor........

I think the rain we got early this year will definately help all of the animals in Az. We have already had some quail hatch here around Globe. The lakes are coming up and I don't remember when I have saw a greener Spring. We could sure use some more rain but as much feed as there is for deer right now should give them some great nutrition. Like everyone else said it will take afew years of good rain to get things back to where they should be(not to mention some major predator control.) Hopefully it will rain some more and things will get better.

Travis

The lack of rain is bad down here inthe south, but not as bad as the lions. there are still quite a few deer out there, but the ammount of lion kills are rising. Ever since they banned trapping things are terrible. back in January there was a pack of yotes in every draw, I had one sneak up to 5 yards of me on the down wind side before I heard him breathing. he got away but its getting scary. the fawn populations weathered things pretty good last year. I seen several does with twins and one with triplets. so I dont think its the drought, on the numbers anyway. The antlers though were hit a little down here. Not as bad as it could have been. and this year will only tell. what I have seen of things it could be rough. everywhere I go the leaves and grasses are powder. cross your fingers and pray for a decent monsoon season.