Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Handgun Javelina

Well, my plan was to try something different this year and hunt with my bow for this year’s HAM hunt. Mother Nature had other plans it seemed, with some strong gusty wind still lingering from the prior day’s storm. So I decided to leave my bow at camp and take the handgun instead. I spotted the herd feeding in the early morning, and started to make my stalk. About 40 yards from them I lost my footing on a steep gravely hillside. It was just enough to knock some rocks loose that rolled down the hill causing the herd to spook and vanish into the palo verde and cholla below. I waited a couple minutes and started blowing on the distress call. Sure enough, here they came full throttle back up the ridge. This one stopped broadside at 21 yards, and the 140 gr. Sierra from my K-frame 38 did the trick. Didn’t get to use my bow like I had hoped, but regardless of how you hunt them, they’re still a darn fun critter to hunt.

post-5555-0-61315000-1360790570_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your success! What distress call did you use to call them out the brush?