Sign in to follow this  
ndaniel

Elk hunting

Lot of good advice here. Keep in mind your hunting Elk not Deer. An elks intelligence level during the rut lies somewhere between deer and javelina. Be very aggressive, run and gun. Don't worry about making noise if you are out of sight of the herd. Elk are loud animals and don't pay much attention to noise if their is other elk around. Do whatever it takes to get ahead of the herd if they are on the move. If a bull is bugling I prefer not to do any calling but sneak in as close as possible and wait things out. Eventually a herd bull is liable to run out a satelite bull or push a cow past you. Watch the wind. Practice shooting from your knees.

Thanks for all the great information all...

Doug-I made the comment about my archery cow hunt just because I know that the success rates in general for that hunt are pretty low. I'm just really nervous about having this tag, and I think that gets relayed as low confidence. I am taking everyones advice on this board though and I appreciate it. Lots of good info over here...

I'm glad that this hunt is pushed back a bit as last year there was minimal talking if any where I was hunting. I spent a couple weeks prior to the hunt scouting and didn't hear them talking too much then either.

Last year I had a cow tag, and all I saw wre big bulls. Until day five when I shot my cow. Get in front if the herd as they feed and move to bedding areas. Keep calling to a minimum. I lucked out and drew a bull tag this year, and am nervous about the season starting later. last year was awesome! Dont give up just because you dont hear bulls bugling. Stay out as much as possible, and still hunt during the afternoons you will see elk up and about. Good luck! :D