Sign in to follow this  
jeffcros

Two for the year

post-2457-0-55085700-1360883209.jpgpost-2457-0-45696900-1360883219.jpgFor me javelina hunting seems to be more chasing coues bucks most of the time, this year was no different. First day I got out got into some bucks and spent the whole day trying to get close only to have the wind switch at 70 yards and the gig was up. Next day, hike up to my vantage point, sit down on the only rock not covered with snow. Im catching my breath just looking out over the small canyon thinking there should be deer cruising this morning. Just then a small 3x3 comes strolling by at 50 yards head down travelling. My bow is still in my pack! I get it out, try to sneak around the little point I was on. Look for buck, gone. So I grab my pack go another 50 yards up the hill to a little better vantage and set up my glasses. After a few minutes I look down to where I was earlier and the same buck is standing 20 yards from where I set my pack! He just kept travelina though. Watched him bed at 200 yards. Stalk was on, got to 50, still bedded. Knocked an arrow, ranged him, wait is on... Buck stands, walks straight away with nose on the ground. The Rut, gotta love it.

So after that I set up the glasses again and find a about 10 pigs, sneak in and shoot one at about 12 yards. Fast forward a couple weeks.

I picked up a left over HAM tag in a unit I have never been before. I am currently working out of town so I meet some guys at camp Friday night to very high winds and sightings so far. Next morning get up and start glassing. We find a few mulies in the snow storm but no pigs. We figure they are brushed up. Around noon the snow left up and it starts to warm a little. So we head to the other side of the mountain and right off the bat I have them. They are working up hill to some of the other guys i camp so we decide to try and intercept but we lost them. One of the other guys got a shot with a muzzle loader and connected. So one down, its dark.

We wake up Sunday to sun and a slight breeze. We get over to where we lost the pigs the day before and find them in about 10 minutes. We sneak in, watch them for about an hour and then I decide to shoot one only to miss with a borrowed muzzle loader at 40 yards. Reload, hammer the same one I missed at 80 yards. I guess I had a little pig fever! They are alot of fun to hunt, heres a couple pics.post-2457-0-89567800-1360882833_thumb.jpg