I go spot lighting all the time. I live in the white mountains, and it is a common thing up here. I have never been checked while doing it.

Spot lighting is a legitimate scouting technique and perfectly legal. It's also a lot of fun. I once took a group of city slicker Boy Scouts spot lighting in late June up in unit 7 and we were able to see over 40 deer and probable 70 or 80 elk. The boys had a great time and were able to see a part of nature that they don't normaly get to see. Some of the deer were only 10 or 20 feet from the side of the truck.

I've got a quick question for you. Is it legal to spotlight during hunting season? Obviously, I know that it is illegal to hunt while spotlighting, but is it lawful or even ethical by that matter to spotlight in the middle of the night to try to locate animals to hunt in the morning? I'm just curious as to how you all feel about this.

I would GUESS it is legal, but you probably should not have any weapon in the vehicle while doing it.

I think it is legal to spotlight during season. But it really chaps my cheeks to be walking out of a good elk spot in the dark and find a spotlighter cruising the roads. Maybe these guys are just smarter than me, or maybe they're on a cocktail cruise, or maybe they do have a gun or bow, and maybe I'd better get off the road real good before they come by so they don't get excited when they see the light shine off my glasses.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the in-season spotlighting went the way of in-season flying - NOT LEGAL. But then again, that would't stop it - would it?

Mike

I liked what TAM said, a while back I was workin for the Az boys ranch (behavior modification) program for young offenders, mostly from inner cities in california. any way, one of our locations was outside of payson and in the evenings the kids who were tasked with extra chores along wiyh staff would take care of the tasks instead of sittin around watchin tv and unwinding from the day time projects such as maintaining trails for the forest service to stretchin barbed wire and makin elk bars and repairing fence etc. what a job!! get paid to scout and work!! any way late in the eve. after the tasks were done, I would tell these young men to load up some flashlights and in the dark we would hike to one of the water holes near camp (by moon light) and wait for the noise to start and then when those kids though they were gonna get "ate" by the bear that was surely comin' i would tell them all to turn on their lights and the look on those kids faces was priceless!! they had no idea how big the elk were,,man would i laugh. but that was somthin I thought i would share with you guys and gals, and maybe remind us about how much fun you can have with kids and not have the playstation turned on at nighttime. take care all and good luck w/ your draw(s) -mike-

I've heard of several people that have shot nice bucks off the strip that would spend half the night driving the roads spotlighting. When they find a good buck they would mark the spot where the buck was and come back in the morning and track the buck and shoot it. This was done by hunters with tags during the hunt. Often these guys will track these big bucks for miles before ever getting a shot. I think I'd rather take my chances sitting on my butt looking through my bino's. But it sure is a thrill to watch a big buck or bull with a spotlight. As mentioned previously, you better leave the guns back at camp.