samadams9

december 35a hunt

I'm new to this site and just moved back to southern az and was lucky enough to draw the late 35a whitetail tag. This will be my first whitetail hunt (always been more of a muley guy but willing to change). I've started doing some scouting and research but wanted to know if anyone out there had any suggestions. I plan on hiking in as far from the roads as possible but wanted to know if there were any canyons or "general areas" I should take a look at. Thanks for your help.

Samadams,

Here is the link from azg&f , it's a start for you and should provide some good terrain for your coues hunt.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_35a.shtml

You probably know this , but the southern range is over-run with traffic. The Huachuca mountains are a prime smuggling route and should be approached with caution. If you haven't lived in southern az for while, things have changed dramatically. :ph34r:

The December tag, should be a good one and there are some quality bucks in that unit... They have received record rainfall in the Coronado national monument area and many some roads are in 'rough shape'

Good luck and hope your drop a big-un.

AzP7Y

you have seen the pic of that buck and doe that amanda has posted on the front page of the main webiste that should be your motivation,that is one of my favorite pics...guess what unit that toad came from?...

I have bowhunted this unit many times.One place I have seen quite a few is in Carr Canyon.just south of Sierra Vista.When enter Carr Canyon there will be hadnful houses on your left. More like cabins Not far after that when you start to make a turn there is a little parking lot where hikers, bird watchers, etc. like to park.Not so much in the winter though.Well there is a trail there that heads back to the east and then kinda wines around to the south.But it's always heading upwards for the most part.When your hiking this trail you can see these houses on your left.Some of these houses have fields in there yards and you can almost always every morning see the Bucks feeding with does.After these deer are done the bucks head back into the canyons and into the hills.If you were to get back in the hills away from the houses and roads of course.You could probabley catch one of them beding up or what ever.I have see some really nice one there's.Just quick story also.One January when I was bow hunting there,I was glassing down towards these homes because I didn't go very far back that morning.And this guy came out with a coffe can and started shaking it around with some seed in it or something.And this nice little Buck came running up and started eating out of this man's hand.Which I thought he was doing that deer any justice beacuse some hunter will probabley end up shooting that animal.And not understanding why it didn't run. Take care,and good luck. Scott