Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

It's prickly pear fruit season!

It's prickly pear season again and my husband and I have been collecting fruit and juicing them. The juice is a gorgeous magenta color and full of nutrition. You can use the juice in smoothies, or in magaritas, or just straight as a fresh drink for the morning. You can even use it as a glaze on chicken or pork or even lamb.

Here is a link to a little write-up we did on how to juice the fruit. It's a great family activity!

You can glass for wildlife in the morning and pick fruit in the middle of the day :)

Prickly_Pear_Juice.doc

Hey Amanda, I've never tried the pear fruits. I'm taking the kids out for doves in the morning, so maybe we'll take a detour and try to find some pears on the way home.

Is the juice sweet, or do you sweeten it with sugar prior to drinking?

S.

:)

I don't sweeten it and it is not real sweet, and it's not a real strong flavor. The closest I can think of is like a very colorful watermelon juice. But it's fun way to get some nutritious juice.

FYI - I think it's legal to pick the fruit on private property (with permission, of course) and if you want to do it on USFS land, call the ranger in the district where you are going to go and ask them. If it's for home use (rather than commercial) they will probably let you. But I guess each district is different. Around Tucson and PHX I think there are lots of areas that are slated for development that probably no one would care if you picked fruit on. But of course, you want to make sure it's ok.

Oh, and by the way, although the juice looks like it would stain your hands and clothing, it doesn't. It washes right out with just water.

Amanda

I forgot to mention that Boyce Thompson Arboretum (where my husband works) is holding a "how to juice prickly pear" class this Sat Sept 2.

here is the link to info about it:

http://arboretum.ag.arizona.edu/events/pricklypears.html

The arboretum is in Superior, which is East of Phx about 50 miles.

Amanda

I do like prickly pear fruit, I just hate getting them ready to eat. I burn the hairs off with a lighter, but always seem to miss that one that finds your tounge! :blink: I have never juiced them, but that might be something I am going to try this year.