Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Question #3

Another thing I've been wondering... Is there a chance to find birds that someone else is already not actively hunting? Especially since I'll be in 6a.

Just wondering if its kinda like an early elk hunt where everybody is calling like crazy and racing from place to place. With a buddy on each ridge calling turkeys and phoning in when they've located some.

I have not had any problem with that in any place I have hunted. Maybe its because turkeys are not measured by B&C or P&Y. A mature tom is a mature tom and the only difference might be 1” in beard length or ¼” in spur length or 1 or 2 pounds and is not visibly noticeable until after the bird is dead. Occasionally someone will already be in a spot I want to hunt but you can just go to another spot and come back later. Last year the bird I shot in AZ was being hunted by someone else in the afternoon but I came back later in early evening after they were gone and got my bird. My experience turkey hunting in AZ so far has led me to believe that most people in the woods turkey hunting don’t know what they are doing or how to call effectively.

"My experience turkey hunting in AZ so far has led me to believe that most people in the woods turkey hunting don’t know what they are doing or how to call effectively."

I definitely fall into that group as well and am looking forward to your seminar in April. Thanks for the response.

I've had some rough experiences with uncourteous folk out chasing turkeys. They didnt believe in first come first served. I've had birds roosted after dark to find they were scattered sometime at night. I've had birds coming in get shot on the way a couple of times. It can be a zoo.

-To beat it I've gone deeper into rougher country. Hunt the "Off" hours.

Best of luck.

Its nothing like elk hunting as far as competition from other hunters in 6a. We may run into a couple people turkey hunting but I've never had anyone chasing the same birds.