Sign in to follow this  
CEI

Field Judging Late Season Elk (Real Video Footage)

Like field judging any trophy animal, Field Juging Elk can be a lot more difficult in a REAL situation.  Late season elk generally give me the most trouble, because many times the bulls don't present themselves like they do during the early seasons.  The bulls posture different when they are recovering from the rut and they are generally in THICK cover.  By this time they have lost a lot of body weight, but their winter coats can still make their bodies look huge. 

Here is an actual situation I found myself in on Richelle's elk hunt this year.  We didn't set a number goal before the hunt, but we did want to kill a large mature animal.  I air judged this bull around 350ish and I was about 30-40 inches off. 

Watch as the bull gives us a completely different look as he steps out at last light.  Generally, I under judge stuff during the late season but on this occasion I was trying to make this bull a lot bigger than he was. 

View the full article

Video Is hard to tell ,we all mis - judge animals,With this video it's hard to tell but I don't see how you could

have been anywhere near 350 .

But It only matters what she wanted was she happy.

Seldom Drawn

It's easy to over judge an animal when your excited. That's where you can tell the difference between experienced hunters. With that said, we all get excited and can over or under judge an animal. You did the best you could in that moment. I'm sure a lot of us would have done the same thing. Great learning experance.

Adam