Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Apache

This was my first trip to Apache. I had always gone to Roosevelt because it was shorter and I am a creature of habit. My wife and son went to Idaho to visit family for a week. With no responsibilities I decided to take my last personal day and head to a new lake for some much needed rest a relaxation. I got in late on Thursday night, but was up at 5 a.m. to hit the water. I tried my darndest, but could only manage a half dozen bights with a couple of fish on that came unbuttoned at the boat. I guess I needed a day to get back into the fishing groove after almost a year away from the water. Despite sleeping in on the second day I managed to boat a couple decent bass before 8:30 on a texas rigged worm. The bites slowed, but I found a few nice coves to set my lawn chair up in the water while enjoying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I caught another bass by a submerged boulder with a texas rigged creature bait after lunch. After the wind died down I headed to a new part of the lake and found a nice area secluded from the wind with some vegetation. I was watching a lot of sun fish swimming near the surface when I heard a swirl in the vegetation that had to be a bass. I casted a weightless senko a few feet from the disturbance and my line was tight within a couple seconds. The bass at Apache seem very healthy, and gave a harder fight than I remembered from my previous catches. I was pleased to get an 18 incher in the boat, which was my second best AZ bass. The next day I caught a smaller bass on a drop shot. Then the wind picked up and I decided it was time to drift back to the dock and head home. I put on a heavier weight with a sweet beaver to comb the shore line with while I drifted. I was surprised to pull a blue gill up on a bait that seemed half as big as the fish. It was nice to stick one after all of the false excitement they had given me over the weekend with their taps at the end of my bait. I give him credit for biting off more than he could chew.

Another new experience for me was seeing the half dozen drag boat racers on the lake. It was interesting to be taking in the beautiful scenery on a glassy lake at dusk only to have your ear drums shattered by an engine that sounded like it could propel a B-52 bomber to supersonic speeds. I ended up talking to one of the guys by the dock at he said his boat would hit 125 mph, and if he opened it up it would burn a gallon of gas in a quarter mile. I have to say that the drag boats did not resonate with me as a fisherman, but maybe if I got to take a ride in one it would give me a new appreciation.

All in all it was a good trip, and now I have the fishing bug. I guess it probably won’t go away until hunting season comes around again.

post-3890-0-37895500-1367908844_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-14511900-1367908877_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-94140500-1367908913_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-57139700-1367908951_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-58485700-1367908799_thumb.jpg

Best lake. Awesome fish