Sign in to follow this  
couesntime

NM unit 21

I put in for and drew the first rifle hunt over in unit 21. My question is what is the quality/quantity of deer in there? I heard there might even be a coues or 2 running that unit? Anybody familiar with what I should expect? Thanks.

i hunted nm unit 21. i was on a private cattle ranch so i cant speak much for public land. that said, i was blown away at the numbers of deer. and the quality of bucks, one thing that took me by surprize is finding buck up high. i mostly hunt coues in arizona. i have hunted mule deer in arizona. i have always found mule deer bucks down low in arizona. so i was expecting things to be the same in new mexico. these deer were up high on the upper 1/3 of every hill we found deer on.

The public land hunt would never be described like oz31p's description of the private land. There are a lot of tags given for the public hunts. Mostly muleys in that unit and you will find them all the way up to the top of the mountains. A few scattered pockets of coues. Neither quantity nor quality is really high, but ocassionally you can find a nice 10 point in the 150-160 range.

Thanks for the input guys! I like trying out new areas and seeing what I can come up with. It sounds like this hunt might be a good one. Hopefully the muzzy guys dont get them all, and I can get away from the other 499 hunters! How far will these bucks get from water? Are they starting to look at the does in the early november hunts?