Sign in to follow this  
Tines

BT fouling

The other day I went to Sportsman's to buy some more ammo. I've switched over to some factory Winchester BT's and so far I like them.

When the clerk saw me pick them out, he mentioned that there will be a noticable difference in accuracy if I ever switch back to a copper jacketed bullet. He said that the Lubalox coating really leaves it's residue in the barrel.

Has anyone ever heard of this? From what I understand (I'm by far no expert at this), the Lubalox coating was to help reduce fouling.

I'm pretty consistant with cleaning the 'ol rifle and I haven't seen a noticable difference in how long it takes or how much garbage I get out after shooting. Just a question for those who know. Thanks

if you liberally i mean liberally apply Sweets 7.62 or barnes C10 it should clean the barrel enough so that the original POI with non-moly bullets is restored after a few foulers

Lubalox is not moly, so you should not have all the problems associated with moly.

I don't know what it is; wonder if it is some type of teflon based coating.

Sounds like you have a good case for an experiment. Shoot and measure some groups with your regular jacketed bulleted load, clean the barrel, shoot the Lubalox load, then shoot the jacketed again without cleaning for comparison.

Doug~RR

From the Nosler Website:

Are Lubalox and Moly the same?

NO, Lubalox (CT Ballistic Tip) is an oxide-based coating, which reduces fouling and allows more shooting between cleanings, also Lubalox does not buildup in the barrel and requires only normal cleaning procedures. Moly (CT Fail Safe & Partition Gold) is a molybdenum disulfide coating which reduces fouling and friction. Moly requires a barrel be conditioned by shooting several rounds after cleaning and special cleaning procedures. Accuracy with non-coated bullets may not be up to par in a Moly conditioned barrel.

From the Nosler Website:

Are Lubalox and Moly the same?

NO, Lubalox (CT Ballistic Tip) is an oxide-based coating, which reduces fouling and allows more shooting between cleanings, also Lubalox does not buildup in the barrel and requires only normal cleaning procedures. Moly (CT Fail Safe & Partition Gold) is a molybdenum disulfide coating which reduces fouling and friction. Moly requires a barrel be conditioned by shooting several rounds after cleaning and special cleaning procedures. Accuracy with non-coated bullets may not be up to par in a Moly conditioned barrel.

RR,

Thanks! I read a little bit about it this morning also. Looks like Sportsman's clerks should familiarize themselves with the product before giving that kind of advice. It's a good idea to see what the outcome is though when reverting to copper jacketed bullets. I'll have a chance to do that when it's time to go to the partitions for my dad and his December cow hunt this year.