Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

strangest thing I have ever seen!

My daughter called me outside to look at this thing she had found in the driveway. Never seen anything like it. We have a few chickens that free range around the property and I assumed that it had to have come from one of them. Apparently under certain circumstances a chicken can lay a soft shelled egg. The darker orange color is the yolk.

post-958-0-90469100-1369456523_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-17595200-1369456861_thumb.jpg

Never seen that before. You may need to add calcium to their diet.

Never seen that before. You may need to add calcium to their diet.

They get all the egg layer and scratch that they can eat. Whatever the euro doves don't get first anyway. Google says it usually is caused by stress, but diet can be a factor. The three hens average 15 eggs per week combined. Normal, hard shelled eggs.

When I was managing a couple of ranches up in the Nebraska sandhills, we raised chickens for eggs and meat. We had lots of laying hens and we would find a shell-less egg maybe a couple of times each year. It's probably more of a hormonal abnormality than a dietary problem. My girls were pre-teens at the time and they liked to take them to school to gross out their friends who lived in town.

I've had that before and my hens eat layer pellets and oyster shell regulary. It is strange to see though