Sign in to follow this  
daryl_s

New .270

I bought a new .270 last week. I haven't been out to shoot yet but I have been wondering what is the best size bullet for accuracy. I bought a box of 130 grain remingtons and will also try out the 150 grains. I will try them both out and see which one will group better but I also wanted to get your input since I know that there are a lot of experienced hunters reading this. I also bought a new leupold 4-12x 40mm scope for the rifle. Thanks in advance for the advice. Daryl

Cant speak for hunting so much, but The Winchester BTs are very accurate for a factory load. Also anything with a Nozler bullet in it is going to work very well. Perhaps not the most accurate(but still very respectable) and my personal favorite are the Hornady Light magnum line using their interbond or SST bullets. I would prefer a 140 grainer for the 270. It's the "middle weight" of the bunch. Not the heaviest, not the lightest. This practice seems to work fairly well in most calibers from my experience.

Thanks. I didn't mention.....I have never gotten into reloading so I will be using factory loads. The rifle is a ruger m77. I have a .243 of the same model and it loves the remington core lokts so I figured that that is what I would start with. I have had very good results with the remingtons in my .243.

Guest Ernesto C

Try different brands on paper to see which brand your rifle like the most,better groups and less bullet drop at long distances. For deer size game on my 270 I love the 130 grains and so my rifle......by the way they are Remingtons core lockts too. God bless.

Ernesto C

I try a few different factory loads but like Daryl says don't over look the 'standard' factory loads. While they may not be fancy or come in a cool looking box they can some times give great accuracy. Walmart sell a few .270 loads for about $11 a box to boot.

This is all a ploy to get Lark to come out of his hid'n hole init?!?

:ph34r:

my 270 which is about 60 years old groups federal premium 140 accubonds in about 1/2 groups. i would strongly suggest those, also i believe federal loads a 130 TSX. look at both of them, i dont think you can beat the bullets and if accuracy is there, ur set!

Thanks for the advice guys. We went out this morning did a little glassing and I somewhat sighted in my rifle. I wasn't real comfortable with the shooting setup so I didn't fine tune it. I'm going to head out to Usery this week and fine tune it with the 140 grain Federal Premium Accubonds. Hopefully it'll pay off in October.