Sign in to follow this  
Taos

Az.Coues hunting

What a great site you guys have here!! You have convinced me that I have to try hunting these little deer. I know nothing about these guys other than what I have read.

I will be planning a hunt in 2004 for them, If I can draw a tag, any suggestions as to where, when and how would be greatly appreciated.

Guest CDN

Taos, Welcome to the world of desert whitetail hunting. You will get hooked and will not regret it. Email me at "candmnelson@cox.net", I have extensive knowledge of Az and its drawing process. Also New Mexico. You still can put in for 2003 if that works for you. CDN

Taos,

Welcome to CouesWhitetail.com. Have you read through the extensive hunt info I have in the "Where to Hunt" section? That section of my web site has info on how AZ does it's drawing process, the hunt success and draw odds for every unit, maps of every hunt unit in AZ, an overall map of the density of WT in AZ and deer survey data for each unit. You can use all that info to select which unit you want to put in for.

Which unit you put in for depends a lot on how badly you want to get a tag. If you really want a tag, then pick a unit based on the draw odds. Some units have 100% draw odds (including Nonresidents). But most of those hunts are early season hunts not during the rut. Most trophy hunters like to hunt the rut because the bigger bucks become more vulnerable. But you certainly can kill big deer in November too.

If you are an archery hunter, remember that the archery deer tags in AZ are over the counter. So you can definitely get a tag that way and you have much more flexibilty on where you can hunt with an archery tag.

Hope that helps!

Amanda

Amanda is absolutely right. Couple other tips are that with the way the rut has been late the last couple years maybe the first two hunts are not as bad as some people think and also if you are the first hunter to hunt the buck you have been scouting makes it alot easier to kill a good buck before he has been bumped numerous times during the first two hunts........Allen..........p.s. you can send me a note and I will tell you about some specific units and other stuff.........environmentalfiltration@msn.com

Taos,

If I were you I would consider some of the Soutrhern Az. units because they have such great draw odds. Like Allen said, the time of year doesn't seem to matter so much anymore because the deer here are just starting to rut in late December. Good luck.

Travis