Hunted OTC archery there last year, without much luck. Was hunting Queen Valley area. Put in for a rifle tag this year. Will hunt archery if I don't get drawn. Anyone else hunted this Unit?

Guest onlycoues

I hunted 30A last year on the border of AZ and Nm. I am addicted to this area and I hope to get drawn again, but there is only 50 tags.

• Like 1

One of my regular areas. Area Around QV is pretty mixed with some nice Coues but more mulies. Popular spot is in to and northeast of the pinto mine between superior and Globe.

Thinking about trying off of the apache trail and south of canyon and apache lakes. Sort of on the north edge but water is plentiful obviously.

Amazing variety of game in the area. Lions, bears, coatimundi, Mule deer, and Coues.

Good Luck, Try to scout plenty of time before your hunt.

I saw a bunch of lion tracks, when I was prowling around in there

• Like 1

I spend a lot of time in 24b each year and know of quite a few springs and water tanks which I place trail cameras on. There are not many coues around queen valley, mostly carp. To get to the higer concentrations of coues concentrate your efforts closer to the superstition wilderness. You may want to read what the AZ game and fish has to say about the unit on there website. You are right about the lions, there are a bunch of them. There are a couple of water tanks I put my cameras on that I get pictures of lions every time I put the cameras out. Last summer one tank had lions coming in every 3-4 days.

Good luck!!!

TAM

I am a bit skeptical on what the AZGFD wrote about the area. They have no mention of Lions in the unit, and I have seen tracks, scat and I know hunters who have seen them. Also The few "places to try" are usually overrun with Road hunters and hunter wannabe's. :)

You have a pretty fair risk when that many people are out ready to shoot at anything that moves! :) Those recommendations used to be good spots but from what I've seen and heard, not so much in the last few years.

Some of the local folks are pretty protective of "their" areas too. So anymosity is another difficulty to contend with. I have taken deer from some of the areas mentioned but the pickins for everyone are thinner. Seems it went south about the time they posted those suggestions. More human activity = less deer activity. I Rarely go around some of the areas due to the traffic and the related risk. I do like some of them but it is just not worth the risk, or the wasted time when someone spooks the deer you've been stalking, just blasting up the side of a hill or yelling to his buddies in the truck 1/4 mile below.

I like to get back in off the beaten path. Enjoying the experience and the benefits they provide, but hey that is just one guys opinion.

Love the whole outdoors experience and the mystery it often provides. :)

Every hunting trip can bring fortune to those who seek a true reward.

Edited by az4life

az4life,

You are right about the areas the AZ G&F mentions being pretty crowded, but only during the rifle hunt in December. I spend quite a bit of time in those same areas during the archery hunt in Aug/Sept and January and there is very little competition, especially during the summer. I shot a 3x4 mulie off water up there last August in a spot that has both coues and mulies and there was nobody else around. There are spots up there with pretty high whitetail concentrations and there are even a few good bucks around, but it's a much better hunt with a bow over water in the summer or salt in January.

I have never tried the Bow but may have to someday. I think I coud shoot one but just never had the itch. I admit the thought of less pressure has made me consider it once or twice.

Where I was hunting... Just off the main road into QV, there is a road off to the right. I can't recall the name. Soemthing Station Rd maybe ? I went back in there a long way. Found some tanks, went by a trail head, and into some other areas...

Without getting your honey-holes, was I even close to good huntin' grounds?? Anyone else been in that general area?

Muskrat,I kwow this area very well. The road you mentioned is called Hewitt Station Rd. Being from Superior I know the 24B very well .I passed up two nice bucks on opening day for archery last year over water :D . Bolth deer were shooters but i held off to go to kiabab.

I think most people that are familiar with this area will agree that there are not many coues right off the Hewit Station Road. I've seen a few but not many. The Hewit Station Road (FR 357) does lead to some good coues country though. You can take either FR 172 north, or you can take FR 8 which will branch off to FR 650 or FR 229. All three of these of these roads will take you into pretty good coues country.

Well, since I was hijacking the other thread, I figure I'd come back here and hijack my own.

Since it looks like Plan A is to self-learn how to hunt foxes, coyotes, bobcats, bears, and lions - I was wondering if 24B would be good for that too.

Specifically, I was thinking of those rolling hills just north of the Hewitt Station Rd, kind of under the power lines. I might hunt archery deer there too.

Since I already know that specific area better than most, I figured now is the time to get to know it better. Besides that, it's fairly close to me. Probably no bears there, though - huh? Thoughts? Comments?

Marshall MacFarlane

Lots of bears there. Just find a water tank or source that is close to lots of prickly pear and call within the vicinity.