Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Homemade Pumpkin Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread

Ok, hopefully I will get some pics up later.

Last year, after pumpkin picking at a farm, we composted our pumpkins in the backyard. In January, I broke up and cleaned up the garden, spreading out the compost. In February, I planted the garden and watered thoroughly. Within a few weeks, the composted pumpkin seeds started growing like wildfire!!! I had at least 50 plants growing, so I thinned it out to about 20 knowing the heat would eventually kill them in Mesa.

Well, that is what I get for thinking!

Pumpkin plants overtook my garden and are now at least three times the size of the original garden and still growing QUICKLY! They have climbed up and over my orange tree. They have overtaken some of the kids toys and about 1/4 of the backyard play area.

On Father's Day, my kids and I harvested a light orange/green 19.5 pound pumpkin, a 10 pound white pumpkin and a 5 pound green pumpkin. We still have at least 8 more growing that I can see. Two of the pumpkins still growing will probably exceed 20 pounds, with many in the 10-20 pound range when done. ALL different shades, colors, textures, mixes of green and orange. They are quite incredible.

Same day I baked up the white pumpkin and made 2.5 dozen pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and 2 large loaves of pumpkin zucchini chocolate chip bread. Turned out AMAZING!

Original recipe online was for pumpkin bread, but I had quite a bit of frozen shredded zucchini and chocolate chips, why not try something wacky! Turned out like gingerbread the first night after it cooled, but the next day after it spent the night in the fridge, it ended up like a dessert!!!!!!!!!

Wife says I will make a good wife to someone some day. Still worried about that comment! :)

Also, since I was at it on Father's Day, grilled up 10 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast using Lawry's and crock-potted 5 more pounds for shredded chicken. BUSY and FUN day with the kids helping!

Taste tests only to those who stop by the house! No, I do not ship. No, I will not come be your wife, that is just creepy. And stop even thinking that thought! :)

Sounds awesome! I know what you mean about pumpkins taking over...we had a couple plants start in our compost area this year....but they died back quickly when I failed to keep up with the watering....But they grew FAST for awhile and flowered and started making little pumpkins :)

Guest oneshot

Dang, Now another day over the oven, Thanks MyRights as an AMERICAN...

I cooked for years, the GF owned a restuarant in NY, and after many years of eating most meals out, we (I) have been drawn back to the kitchen....