Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Unit 1 archery elk for my son's graduation

It's hard to believe, but my oldest son will soon be graduating from college. He has never been on a high quality elk hunt. I've been looking forward to this for a long time and have been building points for him in both Arizona and Wyoming. Next year (2014) we can draw in one of these states, we just need to pick which one to apply for since we need to apply for both about the same time.

For Arizona I have 15 elk points, and he has 10 points, so we will average at 13 points. I think we would have an excellent chance to draw Unit 1 archery elk if we apply together. My son is an accomplished bowhunter and has taken several blacktail deer and whitetails spot and stalk. He has never had a quality elk tag before. I think Unit 1 should be just about perfect being 3 years after the Wallow fire. I have taken several nice bulls and would like to hunt for a 340+ bull. My son would be absolutely thrilled with a 310+ bull! The only concern I have is the tag increase they have for this year's archery season and what the tag numbers will be in 2014. I would appreciate any input on how Unit 1 is looking and the affect of the larger numbers of tags will have on a unit of that size. Is a 340+ bull a reasonable goal? Personally I would hunt the whole season, my son would come down for a week.

For Wyoming, we both have max points. I have identified a unit both of us would likely draw. We could bowhunt early and go back and rifle hunt later.

Two great options. Arizona is our first choice if it looks like the right year to draw in Unit 1. We are really looking forward to a great elk hunt together.

Thanks for your input.

ANy year you have an elk tag is a good year! having said that yes unit 1 has lots of bulls/elk, and always has big bulls.... having said that the rut can be fickle, and the antler growth can really very depending one the rain / moisture we have.... for example the rut was FABULOUS this last archery hunt and the moisture was great the antler growth was fabulous! however the year before the antler growth wasn't near as good, and the moisture wasn't near as good.... and some of that you cant really tell until after time to put in, you just gamble it will be a "good year" for growth and moisture and rutting activity.... some years the scream all day and some years after day light you cant buy a bugle.... so toss a coin.... watch the winter snows we get this coming year just before the draw.... although lots of our snow comes after the draw.... and go for it :) good luck in what ever you do, unit 1 is always a good unit to have a tag in :)

• Like 1

What tomgobbler said is right on, I'll add that even in a poor antler growth year, 340+ is very achievable if you are patient. 310+ should definitely be doable. In my experience a lot of hunters say they want to hold out for a 340, 350, 360+ bull and have a really hard time passing on a 325 bull that comes in screaming his head off. There are a lot of bulls in the 310-330 range and that is why you will have to be patient for a 340+, but if you are you should have a good chance of multiple encounters with bulls of that class, especially being able to hunt the whole 2 weeks. Good luck in the draw.

• Like 2