standman

Magnum primers in a standard cartridge?

I have done it in the past and had some success with it in cartridges based on the 30-06 case while using the slow burning powders. Generally as a rule I do not use a magnum primer until I have a powder charge over 58 grains. You will find more often than not a magnum primer can give you very erradic pressures and standard deviations in your loads when used in a standard cartridge. There are exceptions though it all depends what your rifle likes.

I have found just the opposite. My first experiment was with my .284. 55 grains of H4831sc with BR-2 primers. 1/2" - 3/4" MOA; SDs in the high teens and ES around 50. Switched to Fed Mag Match primers. Reduced the powder by 2 grains. Groups shrank to 1/3" - 1/2"; SDs 6-7 and ES in the teens. Tried it with several other rifles (.260, .308, 7mm-08) and powders I4064, H4350, RL15, RL22) and the results have been the same. Haven't tried them in my .223 yet; but I'm optimistic.

I have also found that magnum primers work well or even best IMO when using double base powders such as RL17 and VV 500 series powders in smaller cases such as the 308 and variants of it, 284 and variants etc... Better accuracy and lower extreme spreads have been my experience. I use non magnum primers in my 300WM using over 70 grains of H1000 with better results than the magnum primers.

I think it's best left up to a rifle and load combo to decide which is best. !!!...

i have done this thousands of times with my 556 and i still have 8 fingers.... seriously though. never had any issues but also a different bear.