Jay Scott

Elk Strategies-Elk Calling Question

We get questions at JSO Blog quite often and I thought this would be a good one to share with you guys, "Hi Jay, I have a question maybe you could help me with. I have had luck calling bulls in by myself this My brother finally drew a bull elk tag after 17 years, my question is when I set up behind him to call and a bull comes in that I can not see and I continue to call will it blow the bull out. How do you determine when not to call and when to call when set up behind a hunter."

Answer from Jay Scott:  I like to try to stay close enough to my hunter so that I know what is going on.  I can read the bulls reaction and the communicate with my hunter as to whether the bull is a "shooter" or not.  The single biggest problem with getting out of sight from your hunter is if a bull comes in that is not large enough and the hunter shoots it thinking it is a big bull.  It is a very dangerous position to be in when you have finally drawn a premium tag.  I have been bit several times by leaving a hunter alone then fading away while working a bull. 

Fading away can be one of the most deadly tactics to calling in a bull in to your hunter but it comes with huge consequences.  If your hunter is very good at field judging then I would say this is one of the best methods for killing bulls.  My archery hunter in 2009 Todd Brooks harvested an awesome bull by this very method.

Once you have the bulls attention and you know he is coming in just fade away and he will walk right into your hunters lap and usually give him a great shot.

In regards to when to determine to call, I like to get their attention and get them coming then just give them enough to keep coming.  Don't overcall because if you keep them guessing your position they will most likely not hang up.  If you call while they are approaching they will try to see you and then recognize that there is no elk where it should be.  Get them fired up then let them walk.  Fight the urge to call.  When you do call make it count and it needs to sound perfect.  Hope that helps.

jay+scott+elk+pic.jpg

View the full article

Jay,

Do you have a favorite call that you use?

• Like 1

Great insight Jay. Calling is definately an area you can always learn alot and improve in. Takes a while to actually learn what to do in certain situations, something im still learning. But I can say, youve got the art of calling down well. I like these information posts, I can always learn something new.

Pix-I like the HS Infinity Latex single reed and the Phelps game calls Elk Commander, pleading hotty and signature cow for mouth reeds. I like Steve Chappells Matriarch, Primos hyper lip single for externals. What do you like?

Dry-Seem like I learn new stuff every year. Constantly get humbled by elk. Its a challenge that I really enjoy.

Well I have tried and tried but can't use a mouth reed for some reason. I have the Primos hyper lip and Steve's matriarch as well and I like Steve's the best. It won't be long now and we will all be using them to call in the bulls, can't wait!!

I call in alot of trophy bulls with my flextone dominator elk bugle. very easy to learn how to use. Jay you guiding in 7W this year? I need you buddy!

Some great pointers,I use Wayne Carlton's super blue double reed and his triple reed,I have been calling elk now for 36 years.

I don't believe there is such a thing as over calling you listen to the bull and you call to how he is reacting.I am different then most

when I call I want to sound like the biggest baddest bull on the mountain,many times all the cows have left him to come to me so he

doesn't have any choice but to follow.but we all call different.you don't even have to be able to call that good, just play the bull and his cows I am a terrible caller but have called in hundreds of bulls just listen to the elk.heck back when I started we called in more bulls with a straw or a piece of pvc, we bugled with and turned it around and used it to grunt.good luck to everyone this year

Seldom Drawn

67-No I have never been in 7W. I will be in Unit 9.

Seldom-Bugling has never worked for me on old big smart Arizona bulls. Works great on small stuff but I have better success with being sweet than salty. Glad it works for you though! Lots of fun!

azhntr67,

I live in 7w I think you are in for a great hunt there are elk where i go everywhere and with 7,5 inches of rain in July

all the tanks are full, and grass everywhere. I am scouting for 2 guys out of Oregon man this should be a great year.

Seldom Drawn

• Like 1

/>67-No I have never been in 7W. I will be in Unit 9.

Seldom-Bugling has never worked for me on old big smart Arizona bulls. Works great on small stuff but I have better success with being sweet than salty. Glad it works for you though! Lots of fun!

Have any pointers for a first time 9 hunter I have an early bull tag

Crzy- Congrats! 25 tags makes this one of the most enjoyable elk hunts in the state. Lots of 340-360 type bulls and a few giants.

Here are a few pointers: Enjoy the hunt, don't let others expectations spoil your experience, and scout your brains out. PS-keep in mind that year in and year out only a couple of bulls over 370 get killed on this hunt.

I actually have an archery tag 100 tags but I heard 5 people per 1 tag not too worried I plan on getting off the beaten path I have been up there scouting a few times and plan on a lot more closer to the hunt I have set a couple of cams as well, hopefully they are there when I go to check them I was amazed to see elk everywhere I went in the unit should be a fun hunt if successful it will be my first elk and archery kill I am not gonna set the bar too high I would be ecstatic about a 340 class bull thanks Jay best of luck to you and your hunters

Sorry I misunderstood I thought when you said early bull you meant early rifle/muzzy. I think the archery hunt is better than the muzzy hunt. I think your chances of getting a bigger bull are better on the archery because of three reasons: first crack at bulls, not as many broken antlers and 14 days to hunt them. Set your own sights. Let your scouting dictate your goals and harvest objectives. Lots of elk to go around for everyone in Unit 9. Be patient and take the good with the bad and roll with the punches. Hope you have a great experience. God Bless. PS-340 is extremely achievable