Sign in to follow this  
backstraps

5b South early archery cow

I was drawn for early archery cow in 5B South starting sept. 13th. I am new to elk hunting and just looking for a few starting points for my scouting trip next weekend. This will be a solo hunt but I enjoy putting in the work and getting off the roads. Any advise would be appreciated.

+1 to creeds comments. There are so many elk in that unit that as long as you get out and walk you will run into them. Good luck

goodluck, be ethical and respectfull to the bull hunters

goodluck, be ethical and respectfull to the bull hunters

Huh? Interesting comment...he has just as much right to be out there as a guy with a bull tag...

Good luck as others said lots of elk in the unit

• Like 6

Taken 2 cows on that same hunt in previous years. Get away from the pavement and you will find Elk. They have always seemed to be real active very early morning in there....running all over the place, probably hunting pressure I'll bet.

Good luck!

ya thats true CAPTAIN WHATEVER never said he didn't have the same right did I NOW, he has just as much right to hunt any where he wants, just said be ethical and respectfull thats the way i hunt, DID I HIT A NERVE CAPTAIN>LOL

That is an outstanding hunt! Cows are EVERYWHERE in that unit. Water is key, find some excellent bedding areas between two waterholes and work over any of those areas. Getting off the roads is absolutely key and you will find huge trails to follow.

If you are interested, I think I may be liquidating my my laminated maps of 5B. I have 19 laminated maps of the unit in three tubes, never really used. Brand new. I may post them in the for sale section.

ya thats true CAPTAIN WHATEVER never said he didn't have the same right did I NOW, he has just as much right to hunt any where he wants, just said be ethical and respectfull thats the way i hunt, DID I HIT A NERVE CAPTAIN>LOL

No worries you didn't hit anything SMALLWOODY...

• Like 1

Hey guys, let's keep the name calling down as it is completely unnecessary and begins to ruin the best site on the web. Differences of opinions and posts taken out of context occur naturally. Please do not let it turn into name calling. Lots of different types of people read this site, from kids to adults. We need to all step up and keep this site the best one out there, do not let it divulge into those other sites.

Now back to your original programming. 5BS is about as easy of a cow hunt as there is in this state. It is not an easy hunt always, but it is one of the easiest of the cow hunts due to high elk numbers compared to extremely low cow tags for that hunt. Find water, you will find elk.

• Like 1

good 1 , i submit , sorry didn't mean to affend anyone , just playin, didn't say i wouldn't go fishin with the captain

Thanks again for the information.

As a newbie i have to say this site is a great site full of information. Glad i saw thw window sticker and looked it up!